Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Article about: The two items that you thought were trigger guages, on the photo of the Vickers, just below the traversing platform and to the front, there is a very similar looking piece except for the rou

Default Re: RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Hi Steve - the two crenelated cylindrical objects in the top of your last pic look like they are from a Bren gun.

?

i have so much to look forward to when i get older and one of them is to go meet you guys and go Metal detecting! nice finds, it must have been great fun....!

cheers
    patrick

Elliott1940 - Yes mate I already ID'd them on page 2 of this thread. In fact I ID'd them the second they came out of the ground ! They are gas regulators from a Bren

HistoryIsMe - And we look forward to meeting you Maybe if you're ever in England with your parents we can arrange for you to meet up with members of the group ? And by the way, we don't use metal detectors at this site as it is just a big dump site. You just dig a hole where you feel like and hope you find good stuff

Cheers

Steve T

?

Quote by Steve T View Post

HistoryIsMe - And we look forward to meeting you Maybe if you're ever in England with your parents we can arrange for you to meet up with members of the group ? And by the way, we don't use metal detectors at this site as it is just a big dump site. You just dig a hole where you feel like and hope you find good stuff

Cheers

Steve T
    I will look into it

iv been loving the finds, and so many! do you think that there are many more left?

Is this the same as your T object?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011  

?

Quote by cornishboy View Post
    iv been loving the finds, and so many! do you think that there are many more left?
    By the look of it and bearing in mind what the site was used for i would say you could dig for a year and still pull up bits and pieces

Ive finally unpacked all of my dig finds today, here are the results of 9 1/2 hours hard digging on Saturday. As you can see everything is in very relic condition and Im sure will be weeded through before Im finished. I found just one drill 303 round which is in there, see if you can spot it .

I took these pictures to record the lot before the serious sorting and cleaning starts.

There are plenty of butt plates with most being brass.

An interesting boot with a leather strap that cant be adjusted. Notice on the underside there are no spark producing metal studs but there are two strange leather dampner type studs on the heal? A strange design?

I have cleaned a few of the larger finds.

First up is this fuel type can that was actually used as a water chest for the cooling of Vickers heavy machine guns. It's survived remarkably well and still retains the lighter pre war green paint that I assume was later over painted with the darker green during the war.

I was pleased to get this flimsy 4 gallon early war fuel can sadly minus its cap. It still retains some of the original paint.

The base is embossed 'M.M.O.R.' and below that WD (War Dept) with the arrow. Just below that are the remains of something painted in black but sadly only an H followed by a - remains.

I only took this very relic water chest home because I wanted the good base cap but couldn't free it on site. But once home after seeing the original wording CHEST WATER M1 on the front and still having its top cap in position. I decided to keep it, to me the relic look of the piece has an interesting charm that will go well with the better condition ones I have.

I'll post pictures of the interesting bits as they're cleaned.

LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm going to be in that area of the UK next month for Ammo-tech tests Hopefully theres a dig happening around that time, bearing in mind theres something left The sheer volume of finds is absolutely staggering, well done to all those involved, its proved very successful

Thanks

Danny

Sorry Steve - should have guessed you'd know!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast