Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Article about: The two items that you thought were trigger guages, on the photo of the Vickers, just below the traversing platform and to the front, there is a very similar looking piece except for the rou

?

Default Re: RRPG dig - British Army Dump - 10th September 2011

Yeah the butt pad for the Boys is a large rubber block and another for the cheek piece

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hi all

Well, I was having a root through my many finds from the site, trying to decide what to clean next, when I came across the rubber thing I'd dug up. At first I thought it was the sole of a shoe. However, it's rather an odd shape and too thick to be the sole of a shoe. Looking at it again this morning, I am almost positive I know what it is.

What do you think ?

Rubber shoulder pad for a PIAT ??

It is isn't it. I'm sure of it. One half has been fire damaged and it's missing a corner, but the intact end has the shape of a PIAT shoulder pad. If it is, it's a GREAT find !!

No1 end in the picture for scale.

Attachment 241225

Attachment 241226
    Well i reckon it is, despite the repro one DM shows, its more or less the same shape , bearing in mind its been distorted by heat, and theres no guarantee
    that the repro was made to the exact specs

Well Dm, the original pads I have found pictures of look the same shape as mine. The more I look at the piece, the more I am convinced it's off a PIAT. I found it in the area where I got all those PIAT triggers and also lots of data plates, most of which were unreadable, (card clamped into a thin metal plate), but ONE you can clearly read the word 'PIAT Mk 1'. I'll see if I can take a picture. Anyway, upshot of this is that it was found where all the other PIAT bits have come from and is the right dimension and shape of a PIAT pad. If it looks like an apple, smells like and apple and feels like an apple.....it's a bloody apple !!!

Here's a pic I found............

I've had another clean of some of the finds I'd already posted, just to see how much better I could get them.

These have all been dipped in Rust Remover for 24hrs and then re-cleaned. Before and after shots. I am pleased with the results

How they looked after the original clean.....

And now after the full treatment......

The front two came out VERY NICE INDEED !

Now the other bits after the first clean. No. 1 ends first.........

And the Vickers Muzzle booster

And now after more intensive treatment...

All came out very nice again and much better than before.....

And best of all, the intensive treatment has brought out a mark on the muzzle booster !!!!

I am pleased with the results

Steve T

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Well Dm, the original pads I have found pictures of look the same shape as mine. The more I look at the piece, the more I am convinced it's off a PIAT. I found it in the area where I got all those PIAT triggers and also lots of data plates, most of which were unreadable, (card clamped into a thin metal plate), but ONE you can clearly read the word 'PIAT Mk 1'. I'll see if I can take a picture. Anyway, upshot of this is that it was found where all the other PIAT bits have come from and is the right dimension and shape of a PIAT pad. If it looks like an apple, smells like and apple and feels like an apple.....it's a bloody apple !!!

Here's a pic I found............

Unless its a pear !!!!!!

Hi Guys, sorry I've been back home for a while so not seen the board for a while. I'm with Steve on the PIAT pad, when I saw it next to Steves find basket, I thought intantly that it was from a PIAT.

Ref the Boys butt pad being a block of rubber, my Boys has thin strips of rubber bonded together to form a pad approx 1/2" thick, covered with canvass. The cheek piece is a nice piece of walnut

Luckystrike, in your collection of finds you have another couple of STEN MK1 items that I've not seen from this site. See if you can ID them from this photo.

Also just noticed you have what appears to be a trigger guard for a Webley Flare pistol.
    And a Bren Mk1 cocking handle slide.
    Last edited by m3bobby; 09-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.

?

Thats a weird set up, having a piece of walnut for a cheek piece, i would have thought that due to the kick of the thing it could break your face bones

Great news !!!!

I have retrieved my bucket of finds ! I went past the site today and stopped off to grab it. I looked a little odd, tramping over a big rubbish tip in my best suit

It had some nice finds in it, one of which I'd completely forgotten about. I shall post pictures later

Steve T

?

I knew he would go back and get it, i bet the security guard thought you were HM inspector of buckets

Quite right Dave ! I am not leaving it for someone else to have after all that digging. And in any case, it had all of Ade's tin cans in it

On to some more stuff that has been cleaned as much as I dare. Any further cleaning and I am liable to damage these.

Here's a group shot first. Only 4 items but the big can on the right came out the ground like that. All the others we found we're corroded right through and just fell to pieces. This one is holding it's own !!

Ade did tell me what it was, but I've forgotten What's the big can again ?

Close up of the top.

Three little oil cans. I brought 7 or 8 home with me but these are the first three I cleaned. Two still have markings on them

All are Vickers/Bren oil cans LUB.OIL MG

Cheers

Steve T

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast