Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

RRPG dig - British army dump - 21st October 2012

Article about: Hi all Well, a very successful trip to the British army dump at the weekend. Some great finds made by all, one within 5 minutes of starting digging !!! As usual for this site, lots and lots

Default Re: RRPG dig - British army dump - 21st October 2012

The thing you are calling a "nib" is a ramrod thimble for a muzzle loading gun. It is the last one that the ramrod enters as it goes into the stock. Have a look at this link and about half way down the page you will see modern made ones. http://www.tdcmfg.com/cgi-bin/cart/a...ildingSupplies

Nice one,

?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Its defo not a 1907 hooked quillon, if you look at the end, it is angled into the wood handle area whereas the 1907 is square/straight.
    [/IMG]
    I think you are probably right that it is an Arisaka bayonet. Not all the Type 30 Japanese bayonets had a pommel as straight as the one you show, some were slightly more curved. However, looking at it more closely I think the telling point is that the end of the hook is flattened, whilst that on the P.'07 is more circular in cross section.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

For the questions posed about why these type of items have been found on an old army dump , this has been explained previously as to the uses that these premises were intended, we have also found german items there. Steve came across two 20mm magazines clearly marked with the Waffenampt logo and a Butcher bayonet was found also, it has been thought that in addition to being a supply depot it was also used for evaluation of sorts, or that these items came into the depot from servicemen and just remained there until closure

Quote by TestMatch View Post
    The thing you are calling a "nib" is a ramrod thimble for a muzzle loading gun. It is the last one that the ramrod enters as it goes into the stock. Have a look at this link and about half way down the page you will see modern made ones. http://www.tdcmfg.com/cgi-bin/cart/a...ildingSupplies
    good spot testmatch - agree that defo a Musket lower ramrod pipe

RRPG dig - British army dump - 21st October 2012

Two more, We all know the first but what is the second??
    Attachment 415506
    Attachment 415507

Easy one, remains of a No.5 bayonet, also used on the Sterling SMG.

There's been some great finds and IDs on this digs results. I'm really pleased to say I also found one of those Remington actions, you can see it in uncleaned condition in my pic 4 on the first page of this thread. Will be posting cleaned finds as they're done.
    Cheers
    LS

Sorry for being so long replying........away for the weekend. Can't wait to get back on Tuesday to get the stuff out of the vinegar !!!

Many thanks to testmatch for the ID on the ramrod pipe, and harry211 for the picture. That's definitely it !!!

Thanks as well to m3 and Tony for the bayonet handle ID. I have to say, given the finds from this visit, it has to be the best visit in terms of age span of relics and variety to date !!!!

I am well chuffed and have already decided to add another small cabinet to the war room to display these older relics properly.

?

I did'nt know they made a cabinet your size

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast