Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Article about: by Steve T No idea what this is. Anyone help ? Attachment 221962 .. Looks like the bottom of on old cycle parafin lamp, the hole in the middle is where the wick would be Hangarman

Default Re: RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Got it, the top photo shows the top carry handle of a Bren 100 round drum magazine.

Drum mag with winder and note the carry handle.

Just seen I was beaten to it whilst typing an answer.

Thanks PB and M3.

Given that we've found winding handles and mounts, there must be some 100 round mags in that dump. I really hope there is because that would just be the best find EVER !

Steve T

Here at last are my finds from the dig, I still have a fair few to wash but Im getting there. Obviously digging at the same site quite a few duplicate items already shown were dug so I will not be showing all of my finds.

First up and being topical judging by the last post on this thread, Here is the MK1 Bren mag spring winder that I dug.

I've rescued quite a few of these MG (cooling) water chests, but I'm very pleased with this one because as you can see it still retains much of its original paint.

Vickers MG ammo box cage followed by a picture of one in use.

Two good condition .30 cal US ammo boxes, they still retain much of their original paint. The last picture which is out of sequence shows one of these ammo boxes in use with a Browning MG.

A couple of relic Bren Mags, Im pleased to have these because they're the first Ive ever dug.

Now for me this is one of my favourite finds from this trip, it is some sort of weapon sight. I have spent sometime trying to find out which one and what its off but have had no luck so far. The spirt level bubble still works in the orange coloured glass eye piece. It has two reference numbers as shown in the pictures and is marked ACMI.

Thank you for any help with identifying this.

more will follow

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011  

?

It appears to be the sighting head from a RAF MkIII Reflector Gunsight (or the US equivalent) fitted in aircraft turrets.
    I recall being told some years ago that they were used in the ground role with Vickers guns on occasion.

Reference LINKY

All the best,
    PB

The sight is a Navy Mark IX Reflector Sight found on 50 cal quad mounts on carriages or fitted to M13/14 and 16 Halftracks

Great job cleaning your finds. Iv found a photo of the water chests you found in use. It the only picture on good old google i could find.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011  

Here's my next batch.

On the last dig I found an area where I pulled several leather bayonet scabbards out, there were also several fragments but I only retained the better pieces.

Once I'd cleaned the scabbards I remembered I'd also found the metal top/hanger section and bottom end of a bayonet scabbard. So I married them up and as hoped the curved cut out ends of the leather fitted exactly the curved shape of the metal top and bottom. So I reassembled one example, I think its a 1907 pattern.

I then remembered I'd also found a relic bayonet handle from a 1907 bayonet which when tried also fitted perfectly, so Ive put it in place for this pic

In the same area I also found a piece of a US green plasticised scabbard?

I think we all found several Sten gun magazines, most of mine are still waiting to be cleaned, but here are three just for reference .

Now this piece is an interesting relic, it's the end of I'm assumng some sort of large about 2 inches across flare cartridge?, its made of aluminium and its well marked. I particularily like that it actually gives the month of manufacture as Mar 42

A Bren Mk1 combination tool.

An unidentified combination spanner?

I'm not sure what these tools are called for cleaning/reeming out a weapon barrel, Its of quite large calibre but when found the coils were squashed back on them selves, so although Ive opened them out I dont know if they should be moved even further. They are about 3 inches across.

I've included this picture of an ammo spacer even though I haven't cleaned it yet because each ammo recess is also 3 inches across so could relate to the previous relic. Do you think this could be out of a mortar ammo box?

Thank you for looking and any help with confirming identifications.

I still have a few more pictures to post

LUCKYSTRIKE

The last few for now.

A Browning cleaning probe. This one is in remarkably good condition and the probe rod is still complete.

A piece of a Lee Enfield?

A couple of oil bottles, the larger one retains much of its original paint and the smaller chromed copper one is still half full of weapons oil.

A couple of other weapon oil bottles one is made of early plastic and the other brass.

A couple of personal items, the usual war time toothbrush and an aluminium soap tin. Both halves are there but have been pushed inside each other and have then corroded together. And a bone handle from an early butter type knife.

And my final item is a very relic weapons sight I'm assuming an Anti Aircraft sight?. I haven't finished cleaning this yet, I've removed the bulbous lumps of rust from around its edge but have to pluck up courage to have ago at the centre because it's very fragile but I'll get there in the end I've looked at dozens of pictures of AA sights to try to identify this one, most are very similar but tend to attach to the weapon or its frame by a pin, where as this is mounted by a plate and wing nut?

Thank you for all you help

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast