Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Article about: by Steve T No idea what this is. Anyone help ? Attachment 221962 .. Looks like the bottom of on old cycle parafin lamp, the hole in the middle is where the wick would be Hangarman

Default Re: RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

I think you correctly ID'd the No 4 Mk I muzzle protector. Also, I think the pic right above your pen may be of a cleaning rod of some sort-maybe from a larger caliber MG or cannon?. The holes right under that tip would be ideal for either a thick patch or a T-handle attachment. Does the tip unscrew?

BTW, that rear sight from earlier is quite common and may be from a large number of .22's, air rifles, etc. Win. 67A was just a guess. I would think a .22 simply because they are good for simple target practice on a military base. I have no idea why they would destroy an air rifle with the stens and service rifles, as air rifles were really just considered kid's toys at the time.

Photo 3 shows a Vickers Steam pipe (VAC is Vickers Armstrong Company), the pipe runs along the jacket above the barrel and collects the steam. Does photo 2 look similar to photo 3?

Photo 7 shows a Vickers MMG Muzzle Protector: Mk I

The top item in photo 8 is called the hook, it secures the for end wood to the Martini Henry carbines and Rifles Mk3 and 4 (Also the Martini Metford and Enfield conversions)

I think the dummy .303 round in photo 10 is one of the 3 dummy rounds found in the Bren 100 round drum mag.

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    ah that's a colt .45 mag

Sadly got dragged into work today... boss even came and picked me up as I told him I was too tired to walk. So, I will clean more tonight. Hopefully I might actually finish something and be able to post a picture
    Its a little on the large side for a colt 45 mag, I think your looking at the item to the right of the large item I'm looking at.

everyones doing a great job cleaning finds!

Sorry Bryn i've forgotern what you said this water can was from

I'm also intrested in repainting it and wanted to know what colour

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011  

Hi guy,s
    well im most impressed on your finds it,s a great thread and thanks for putting it on.
    I didnt know they burned everything before burying it thats a new one on me, would love to have been there to see it.
    dave.

I dont think everything was burned as a matter of course, I think the dumping grounds just got everything and the wood was burned with metal attached and any other metalic parts in the box of scrap that happened to go with the wood. I do know that the old armourers used to burn the wood stocks in the stoves in the work shops to keep them selves warm.

can you ID the water can M3?

Please

Panzer 3 - Thanks mate We are still waiting on quite a few finds to be posted, a number of which are much better than anything I found

m3 - Nope. The VAC steam pipe (thanks once again for the ID), feels a bit like a sharpening steel as it has tiny ridges all the way down the rod. The item in picture 2 does. It's smooth.

Any idea on the 'sights' (both lots) or the funny bent rod thingy ?

Steve T

You must have moved a lot of ground, great finds. Not realy my cup of tea, but still thrilling things to find.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Further cleaned up finds.

First up the Sten Mk 1 stock and flash hider

Next four bits. Item on the right appears to be part of a tripod (maybe). Top item has a spring running through it. 2nd item down also has a spring in the small compartment to the rear of the piece. Any ideas on these items ?

Same items viewed from another angle.

Another 4 items. The two on the top row are actually the same apart from the fact the left hand one is attached to a curved piece of steel. Both appear to have been designed to slide along something. Item top right is a hefty chunk of metal. Bottom item looks like a spent case chute off something.

Same items, different angle.

Please reply if you recognise anything.

Thanks

Steve T

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast