Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Article about: by Steve T No idea what this is. Anyone help ? Attachment 221962 .. Looks like the bottom of on old cycle parafin lamp, the hole in the middle is where the wick would be Hangarman

Default RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Hi all

Yesterday, members of the RRPG group met up at a British Army dump site.

Firstly, a huge thank you to the landowner and the guy whose site it is, Bryn. A great guy and so nice to see the younger generation taking in interest in preserving the WW2 military history of the conflict.

The site was used by the British Army to 'dispose' of equipment following the end of the war and it is a truly remarkable site. I don't believe there is anything that compares to this site in the UK.

We all arrived early, (Steve T, Dangermouse, Bryn, Whitehunter, LUCKYSTRIKE, Davejb, 381st Digger and Jayh who arrived early afternoon). Bryn gave us a tour of the site and we got stuck in. By the end of the day, I was so covered in mud and crap that it took three showers to get myself clean and I think I may have to condemn the clothes I was wearing !!!

I will be putting together a video of the finds over the next week or so, and also clips of the finds being made.

One thing about the site is that it is kept under close scrutiny by a security company. Any digging on the site without the landowner's permission will result in serious consequences for those caught doing so. This security is in place 24/7. Please remember that landowners permission is required to dig ANY site, not just this one.

Ok, serious bit over.

Now for the first pictures of the finds made on the day by myself. Remember there were 8 of us there so there will be LOTS more pictures coming soon. Everyone had remarkable finds, although Dangermouse probably won the prize for the best find of the day, and one we can't quite understand why it was there ! Davejb won the prize for needing to get his eyes tested. Whitehunter won the prize for realising that the water tanks he found had spent rounds in them. 381st won the prize for looking most like he had an Adolf Hitler moustache.

Group shot before cleaning. Prepare to say 'HOLY CRAP !'...........

Stocks with butt plates attached, every conceivable piece of Sten gun, LE barrel 'ends', sites, mag loaders.........to name but a few...

More.....

A couple of drill rounds...

Including these rare 30 cal drill rounds and, although I can't understand why it was there as the military rejected the cartridge, a 303 Savage round.

Much more to follow, plus pics of stuff once cleaned....

Steve T

Default Re: RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011

Ok. First shots of cleaned stuff.

LOTS more to come !!!

First up something to be ID'd. It is a barrel about 12 inches long (30 cm) with a very distinctive sight. The bore of the barrel appears to be very small, maybe .22 or even .177 which makes me think it could be an air rifle barrel......but then again the corroded metal may just have expanded to close the bore considerably !

Lee-Enfield butt plate with the reamins of the stock and sling loop still attached. We have been told that the rifles were disposed of by being cut into chunks then burnt, hence the damage to this one.

Two shots of a gorgeous find. Lee-Enfield No. 1 end piece. I love this item !

A bolt complete with cocking lever. Not sure what it's off though. Probably an LE but any help would be appreciated.

The last 10 inches of a Lee-Enfield No.4 barrel. This has received considerable fire damage as can be seen from the head on shot. The front sight has been warped to one side.

Lastly, a Sten stock.

LOTS more to come.........

Steve T

What is this item. I'm sure it's something good

Pig stick Scabbard

More soon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011   RRPG Group dig - British Army Dump - July 2011  

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Ok. First shots of cleaned stuff.

LOTS more to come !!!

First up something to be ID'd. It is a barrel about 12 inches long (30 cm) with a very distinctive sight. The bore of the barrel appears to be very small, maybe .22 or even .177 which makes me think it could be an air rifle barrel......but then again the corroded metal may just have expanded to close the bore considerably !

Lee-Enfield butt plate with the reamins of the stock and sling loop still attached. We have been told that the rifles were disposed of by being cut into chunks then burnt, hence the damage to this one.

Two shots of a gorgeous find. Lee-Enfield No. 1 end piece. I love this item !

A bolt complete with cocking lever. Not sure what it's off though. Probably an LE but any help would be appreciated.

The last 10 inches of a Lee-Enfield No.4 barrel. This has received considerable fire damage as can be seen from the head on shot. The front sight has been warped to one side.

Lastly, a Sten stock.

LOTS more to come.........

Steve T
    The bolt certainly looks to be from a NO/4 Lee Enfield imo

Two MG belt starter tabs, one a Browning, the other a Vickers, (I think ).

Top is Vickers, bottom Browning

One side says 250 .303 MFCo

The other has a date....1940

One side of this on has 250ROUNDS Cal 30

The other side says Browning Machine Gun Belt Model Of 1917

Great pieces

Steve T

?

Those are neat Steve, didnt realise they would clean up like that compared to what they were before

Quote by davejb View Post
    Those are neat Steve, didnt realise they would clean up like that compared to what they were before
    Cheers Dave It's my elite cleaning skills

Steve T

PD Why the hell is no-one else posting replies in this thread ? I thought the finds were some of the best ever !.........Maybe not

?

Im waiting to see if DM will have the cheek to post his find of the day and complete my misery at not seeing it in the grass

Neat! That bolt could also be from a No. I Mk III*. The barrel with the interesting sight may very well be from a.22-that type of sight is pretty common on inexpensive small bore firearms, like a winchester model 67, or similar.

Bloody ell!

OK, Steve, in your first photo you have in the top right corner, what looks very much like (99% sure) Bren gun 100 round drum mag winder. Left of that is a Bren cleaning rod handle and part of rod from Bren chest, under that is a Lee Enfield 10 round mag (looks SMLE), under that I can see about 4 STEN trigger mech covers. The Bolt is from a Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 SMLE not the No4, right of that are some SMLE rear sight protector wings, the belt starter tabs youve correctly IDd, the 1917 one is for the Browning M1917 machine gun. The No4 butt, looks to me more like a Mk5 STEN butt rather than Lee Enfield, above that are stock bands for the Lee Enfield but I dont know if there No1 Mk3 or No.4, first thought is No.4 due to lack of hinge.

Ok, I've saved the best till last you jammy sod! Youve IDd the STEN butt, its the early stock from the Mk2, the one next to it is from the Mk1 STEN and the item in the bottom right of the photo is the flash hider from the Mk1 Sten too, these items are Very Rare, even rarer to find in relic condition. These guns were ordered to be destroyed after the war and not many survive. Luckily I have got my hands on one, photos below.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast