Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A second GI chain bracelet

Article about: Seb, Can you give me an idea of where in Normandie the Stephens bracelet was found? His name and Service Number are not on NARA. But, maybe we can use unit manning rosters to find him. I fou

Default A second GI chain bracelet

Hello gentlemen!
    As promised ,i post some pics of the sterling chain bracelet,plus some gifts that were enclosed with the chain...
    Obviously,i'm kind enough to receive gifts without asking anything,hi hi hi !
    These relics all come from a dump in a cigarette camp,one of the most famous in my county,the lucky strike camp.As you can see,the collars discs,lift the dot,and some coins have been burnt.
    There is this strange 1 pfennig with holes ...Anybody have a clue?
    So,this bracelet is ready now to be packed with the second one,then be sent to the US Embassy in Paris.I will keep you informed.
    Have a good day!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A second GI chain bracelet   A second GI chain bracelet  

A second GI chain bracelet   A second GI chain bracelet  

A second GI chain bracelet   A second GI chain bracelet  

A second GI chain bracelet  

Default Re: A second GI chain bracelet

Haarghhh!Sorry for the twins pics,stupid frog!!

66 views and not a reply?Is this item so common?
    Am i using invible ink,ha ha ha ?

?

I have a GI bracelet that has "Eddie" "Berlin 1946" carved onto it, and Eddie is my name so I really like it! I'll try and post pics of it.

?

What an interesting collection of items!! It loogs as if the 1 Pfenig piece was sewn onto something - maybe it was a "good luck" coin that didn't have so much luck in it.

The ID bracelet is interesting. They were popular here in the 60s and 70s but I never saw one associated with the 40s. I hope they can track back to the family. Some of the folks on a U.S. militaria forum I'm on spend a lot of time tracking down info on specific individuals through archived records. I can't quite read the ID number on the bracelet but if you want to post it or PM me I can ask them to find any public info that might be available on this person.

Thanks for sharing your find!

Mark

Boys,my last reply was a joke!
    But anyway ,thanks for your words!
    Mark,i'm quite interested by your proposal,even if LCL Griggs from the US Embassy will have a look on it..
    I copy you the 2 ID numbers(i have the chains in my hands,what a strange feeling...):32876630 and 39270111;Thank you Sir!
    I'd really like these things to come to an happy end and to be the first of many others,cause lot of french diggers would like to find descendants of GI's whom they have found personal items.

Seb

That coin with the holes in reminds me of one I found once, with a chain looped through the holes. Given the length of the chain, I decided it had been made into a lucky charm bracelet. Pennies were meant to be lucky because of the saying 'See a penny, pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck', so it is quite reasonable to assume this. Nice collar tabs !

Steve T

PS And yes I know, the saying is actually a common mistake made by people as it is supposed to be 'See a PIN and pick it up....', but the incorrect version took on a life of its own and became the norm

I trust you completely,Steve,cause i had a similar idea about the Pfennig..

?

Done! i posted the info and will let you know what I can find out!

Is LTC Griggs with the US Defense Attache's Office at our embassy in Paris? My last job before I retired at the end of 2003 was managing the Foreign Area Officer Program - that's the program that selects and trains officers to be attaches. security assistance officers liaison officers, etc. I may know LTC Griggs - or he may recognize my name because I was the Proponent Chief for 4 years. Small world.

?

Here's the first one:

Stanley J. Marciniak
    Born 1925
    Enlisted March 27th 1943
    Died 6 June 1994 (note the date he died - sent a shiver through me)

I also have where he lived when he passed away as well as the names and possible phone numbers for sons/grandsons/relatives. How do you want to proceed with this?

I assumed the bracelet would be tied to a KIA - perhaps he was WIA or just lost it.

Can you confirm the service number on the Stephens bracelet? My source couldn't find a listing on this one.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast