Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad

Article about: Hello:I have this small bottle that was found in the city portion of Stalingrad when some digging was done for construction. It is bakelite, approx. 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches (not counting the c

Post Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad

Hello:I have this small bottle that was found in the city portion of Stalingrad when some digging was done for construction.

It is bakelite, approx. 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches (not counting the cap). The bottom is marked with the manufacturers code "acb" in circle on one side and "1941" in a circle on
    the opposite side. At first I though it might be an oil bottle for a crew served weapon (MG-34) but I saw where a Militaria dealer in Europe had one for sale and he said it a De-contamination bottle. I would imagine it was to be used to clean off or neutralize gas or other agents.

Does anybody actually know what this was used for and was it carried in the MG's "tool box". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad   Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad  

Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad   Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad  

Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad  

Default Re: Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad

The description is correct, it would not normally be in the MG cleaning kit but someone might have used it as an oil bottle as they are a good size for that purpose.

Jock

Hi Jock:
    Thanks very much for your reply to my question. At least,
    I know for sure what it is. I've looked at a lot of German
    militaria but I've never seen a bottle like this.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Hello Jarek: Thanks for the reply on my question. The two sites that you sent me checked out to be very informative with excellent pictures. I see by the pics that these bottles were made until 1944 and 1945. You would think they would know they weren't going to be attacked with gas by then.

Thanks again, Bob.

Oh my God!
    This small bakelite bottle found me. I found it next to my mother's place of work, it is in the center of Volgograd (Stalingrad). There is an overgrown ravine and on the slopes of which lay this bottle. It was not a building. When I gave this bottle to my friend from America, I told him that the bottle of MG kit. Yes, I admit my wrong.
    You can see the photos that I took on a mobile phone when I found the bottle.
    Really, it is very nice to see my finding in the Internet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad   Small bakelite bottle from Stalingrad  

Hello Sebastien:Thank you for your reply on my bakelite bottle question. Now I know where it came from in Stalingrad. I got it from my friend, Tom Watson. It is nice to know that you and Tom are also friends. Are you one of the people that he goes digging with? He mentioned someone named Yuri. He said Yuri is a Legend in the Volgograd area when it concerns digging for relics. I would like to someday come to Volgograd and visit the Museums and buildings and even to dig for relics.
    Please keep in touch.

Thanks, Bob