Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

some airfield finds

Article about: my airfield finds and a few other bits and bobs aquired over the years!! heres a couple of pics of my shed, a few engine parts soaking in a tub of diesel/parrafin and 4 propellers. it needs

Default some airfield finds

my airfield finds and a few other bits and bobs aquired over the years!!
    heres a couple of pics of my shed, a few engine parts soaking in a tub of diesel/parrafin and 4 propellers.
    it needs tidying!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture some airfield finds   some airfield finds  

some airfield finds  

Default Re: some airfield finds

Wow! Very impressive finds ... mostly appear to be American aircraft components ... the cirucular object on the far wall appears to be a hub cap from a B-24 ... I'll be visiting a B-17 base this Saturday ... any search tips?

b17 wheel trim. search round the dispersal areas if present, search ditches, ponds, any places that havnt been turned back to farm land will produce your best/biggest finds heavy undergrowth and nearby woodlands/ roughlands...... i have a map of the base where i am, this is an invaluble reference to where things were and where things are now, you can also see on them where ponds and ditches were during the war and if now filled in could be a good place to start digging!! good luck!

Wow what a truly museum quality collection you have there, thanks for showing a few pictures. The propellers are great did you dig them from an aircraft crash site or were you lucky enough to find them just discarded in a ditch. I ask because they're large peices and I only seem to find are small relics.
    Thanks again.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

nice collection, how do you go about planning searches?

Thanks for your comments
    the prop on the left i was lucky enough to find in a pond near from where a b24 liberator crash landed, my avitar picture is that propeller that id just recovered, couldnt believe it as id only ever found very small fragments of this crash site, and the pond was a few hundred yards away. My father who was only very young can remember the plane flying on fire towards the family farm and then swerving and crashing in a the field opposite!... A good friend of mine who does alot of digger work for us discovered these whilst working on an overgrown site, very thick hedgerows and trees being cleared, he scraped the bucket of his digger on one of them before getting out and realizing!!
    Il post some more pics soon

Very nice indeed. Amazing no one had found all that stuff before you

Thanks for the details on your finds. It gives us all encouragment to get out there looking and proves there's still stuff to be found. Research obviously helps greatly but I think we can say luck also plays a big part!
    Looking forward to seeing more pics when you're able.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm also looking forward to seeing some more photos of your finds ... to find one propellor blade is impressive ... to find four ... well, thats off the Richter scale! Anyway, I visited my local B-17 base on Saturday ... and managed to locate about 20 bomb arming wires from an overgrown ditch next to a former dispersal point ... not in the same leage as propellor blades ... but relics nonetheless.

?

Nice finds!
    You need to dig deeper, to find engines and more interesting stuff
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast