Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some finds from last sunday

Article about: by Zeller I see some rims of leather on the handle - left side of the pic. Of course leather is very seldom preserved in soil, but I have no idea what is below the leather on those knives. I

Default Some finds from last sunday

Hi guys,

Last sunday me and 2 friends went to a forest in holland with the metal detector and we did some nice finds, a full US(?) ammo clip, a mauser clip, some british rounds that were exploded with the bullets laying about 30 cm away. But the best find was when the detector went of for the first that day! We found a knife, i think some kind of fighting knife. I dont know what knife it is so i hope somebody can help me identify it.

after cleaning up

i tried to clean the knife but i think it needs some sandblasting or something

i hope somebody can tell me what the name of this knife is and from what country.. Considering the site were it is found i think its british

greetings

Default Re: Some finds from last sunday

The clip with the 8 rounds in is indeed American, for the Garand rifle. The 303's are also interesting.

I'm afraid I can't help with the knife though.......cartridges are my thing, not knives

Steve T

?

Nice finds ! I would avoid sandblasting to clean the knife though. I would rather use some special products to clean the blade, in order to convert the rust.
    Regards

Matt

?

the knife looks like a post ww2 german made hunting knife. sold all over.
    andrew

?

I am no expert on these knives but I would say it's a US fighting knife. there are plenty of similar knives, maybe someone could ID it. It looks similar to this oneSome finds from last sunday
    Regards

Matt

?

i think , on the ground found one it looks to be a stag handle instead of leather. but i could be wrong
    andrew
    zeller might be right, i just cant tell the grip material.
    i also notice there is no top part of the cross guard, broken off ?

Steve T

The clip with the 8 rounds in is indeed American, for the Garand rifle. The 303's are also interesting.

I'm afraid I can't help with the knife though.......cartridges are my thing, not knives
    Steve T
    Thanks steve for the info. Why are the 303s interesting? Because they exploded?

Zeller

Nice finds ! I would avoid sandblasting to clean the knife though. I would rather use some special products to clean the blade, in order to convert the rust.
    Thanks zeller, what kind of products do you recommend?

Andrew

the knife looks like a post ww2 german made hunting knife. sold all over.
    andrew
    Well i hope not We found it a couple of meters away from were we found the ammo, but it can be hunting knife...

Also,
    can somebody tell me what these strange things are?:

?

I see some rims of leather on the handle - left side of the pic. Of course leather is very seldom preserved in soil, but I have no idea what is below the leather on those knives. It looks like something solid, not bone though.

Andrew, I am testing since few months some products which really satisfied my needs:
    one is called ASHLAND DREWCLEAN C734, you can see the fighting knife I posted today, it was a piece of rust just like yours. It will clean it but won't damage other metals.
    The other one is a similar product called Evapo-Rust.

As for the odd things, I am not sure what they are but they don't look good. I'd suggest you don't manipolate them much until Steve or someone else here will clear any doubt.
    Regards

Matt

Quote by Andrew View Post
    i think , on the ground found one it looks to be a stag handle instead of leather. but i could be wrong
    andrew
    zeller might be right, i just cant tell the grip material.

the handle is from wood.

Last photo looks like a bunch of oil dispensers from German kit? Maybe from the RG34 cleaning kit? NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast