Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Some more Somme finds

Article about: Hi all. All of these items were found whilst walking the edges of a couple of fields near to the Thiepval memorial, on the site of the Leipzig salient. The 3 .303s are an exception as they w

Default Some more Somme finds

Hi all. All of these items were found whilst walking the edges of a couple of fields near to the Thiepval memorial, on the site of the Leipzig salient. The 3 .303s are an exception as they were given to me by the owner of the camp site we were staying at, they are interesting as they show signs of a link at the bottom, identifying them as MG ammo. Also is a chunk of old (I think Roman) pottery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 001.jpg  

Default Re: Some more Somme finds

The three 303's look in good condition. Shame about the lebel next to them.....that looks rather damaged

The other 3 cartridge cases are not, as you're probably aware, 303's. Can you still read the headstamps ? As a rule of thumb, if they're roughly the same size as the 303's they will be German 7.92's. If they're bigger than the 303's, then they're 30-06 cartridges. The headstamp will tell you for sure.

Cheers

Steve T

Those Romans hung about for a long time waiting for a punch up, John.

The 3 .303s are from 5 round charger clips, the rust at the bottom will be from the charger, not links as the Vickers gun used material belts, the Lewis used magazines and the hotchkiss used a feed tray. The 2 balls are from shrapnell shells, 18pounders? Anyone?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The 3 .303s are from 5 round charger clips, the rust at the bottom will be from the charger, not links as the Vickers gun used material belts, the Lewis used magazines and the hotchkiss used a feed tray. The 2 balls are from shrapnell shells, 18pounders? Anyone?
    Yep, I'd agree with that, and add that there's a nice looking porcelain pull for the stick grenade also. And what looks to be a flare cartridge.
    Be careful with the .303's if you're gonna de-head them, do it with a kinetic hammer don't just pull the head off, reason being the brass is fragile and will split down the casing. Just empty the cordite (Mk7) or powder Mk7z) and drop a little engine oil onto the primer, that will kill it

Cheers for the info. Yes, I see what you mean about the .303s, I should have thought of that. I have de- headed the bullets and it worked out ok. apart from the lebel round which was cracked any way

Oh and the thing that looks like a flare cartridge, im not sure what it is, will post some more pics of it as i would like to know