Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Some nice US 8th Airforce finds 30/1/11

Article about: Hi everyone iv been back at it again. Today i took some pictures as they came out the ground sorry there not very good i was useing a phone cam. lots of photos to come so keep poping back. H

Default B-17 engine cowel panel etc.

Over the past few weeks, me and 381st digger have been digging a few of our favourite dump sites and have found some pretty decent stuff .... Below are a few of the items I've had time to take pictures of ... I'm sure Andy will be posting a lot of pics as well ....

First is a B-17 engine cowel panel ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowel_interior_2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	322306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowel_exterior.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	322307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowel_interior_2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	322306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cowel_exterior.jpg 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	322307

If anybody can illustrate the exact location of this panel I'd be grateful ...

Second item is what I think is part of the armour plate from the tail gunner's position of a B-17f ... when it came out of the ground it still had some of the padding attached which protected the gunner's head ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail_armour_plate_1.jpg 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	322308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail_armour_plate_2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	322309

Again, if anybody could confirm that this is what I think it is ...

The last item came out of an area producing lots of supercharger bits and pieces but which I cannot identify ... its probably B-17 related but I simply can't identify it ... any help would be appreciated!

Name:	unidentified_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	322310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unidentified_2.jpg 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	322311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unidentified_3.jpg 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	322312

Thanks ... and watch out for Andy's posts ... one of his finds is particularly spectacular!!

Default re: Some nice US 8th Airforce finds 30/1/11

Great finds!
    If you haven't already, use this website to find out information about your dogtags:
    NARA - AAD - Main Page
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from 38. Batterie, Heeres Küsten Artillerie Regiment 977, also from 31, 32 and 36. Batterie.

?

Enough parts here to build a complete plane ... almost

Just found this picture of a B-17f tail guner's compartment ... I think the bit I've got is the bit just below the armoured window .... probably.

Name:	b17_looking_aft.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	322320

?

Default Re: B-17 engine cowel panel etc.

Quote by gremlin View Post
    First is a B-17 engine cowl panel ...
    If anybody can illustrate the exact location of this panel I'd be grateful ...
    No.1 engine (left hand outer), lower left accessory section cover (between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock when viewed from the front).
    The hole is for an access disc to allow a hot air hose from a ground engine heater in cold weather conditions.
    These are usually stencilled with the aircraft serial number, sadly this one isn't.

Second item is what I think is part of the armour plate from the tail gunner's position of a B-17f ... when it came out of the ground it still had some of the padding attached which protected the gunner's head ...

Again, if anybody could confirm that this is what I think it is ...
    That's exactly what it is, from the "stinger" type tail position rather than the "Cheyenne" type:

The last item came out of an area producing lots of supercharger bits and pieces but which I cannot identify ... its probably B-17 related but I simply can't identify it ... any help would be appreciated!
    Supercharger cooling air scoop, two faced forwards and a smaller one faced aft presumably as an exhaust. Part numbers should begin with 15-6531 for the inlets, not sure yet for the smaller one.
    The aft-facing one is seen below, almost certainly the one you have from the fitting flange, the intakes have been removed to show the supercharger housing area:

All three can be seen here: B-17 engine & supercharger | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All the best,
    PB

Default Re: B-17 engine cowel panel etc.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response and the confirmations ... I actually have the access disc from the cowling at home ... it dropped off the cowling as we extracted it from its rather deep excavation ... Andy stopped me from stepping on it by accident. Interestingly, the green you've used to highlight the cowling is about the same shade that Andy turned when Andy saw what I'd found .... Don't worry ... the next panel WILL have the A/C serial on it!

Thanks for the illustration of the tail armour plate ... Andy found another large piece of plate not too far away from where this came out ... and I'm wondering whether it might have been no. 29 on the diagram ... ?

Finally, thanks for positively identifying the supercharger cooling air scoop ... as you can see I haven't even cleaned this one up as I wasn't entirely sure that it was B-17 .... in fact I nearly left it behind ...

Thanks again Paul,
    Simon

?

No problem Simon.

I'm struggling to actually identify what your scoop/vent is.
    It's certainly the one I've marked in green, but it doesn't appear to be part of the supercharger cooling system, just in the same area.
    Whatever it connects to inside is forward of the supercharger, and is on the two outboard engine cowlings only.

Annoyingly neither the Parts Book or the E&M Manual show anything in that area, so without a part number I'm flailing in the dark at the moment...

I'll ask some of the guys who still work on them what it does and report back.

Thanks Paul,

Meanwhile I'll get started on cleaning up the scoop and restoring it to some semblance of its former glory ...

And don't forget to watch out for Andy's post ... he found something 'rather special' last weekend ...

Simon

More superb finds That dump really is awesome

Well done again Simon it was a great find (lucky sod)
    I will get some photos up of my stuff when I get a moment.

Andy.