Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 222 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

Default Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Yes Sebatien, nice bottle indeed. It and the other finds show the personal side of their war. Thanks for continuing to show the fruits of your labor. Ron

Sebastian! Belated Happy Christmas to you sir. Thankyou for the 'presents' you share with us all.

I had a rare and what I consider to be a brilliant present from my mother (FRAU as we call her), regarding 'your area'. It was information.... the valuable kind. It turns out that one of my 2nd cousins was killed within the first few of days of the encirclement of the german forces. I've now to get in contact with other relatives and find out more about him.

So, may I thank you personaly for continuing your work there. It now means even more to me to keep watching your brilliant thread. Even the finds you consider to be mundane / junk, now show me a little more of what "Frans" had to endure.

Keep going Mate!

Martyn.

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Sebastian! Belated Happy Christmas to you sir. Thankyou for the 'presents' you share with us all.

I had a rare and what I consider to be a brilliant present from my mother (FRAU as we call her), regarding 'your area'. It was information.... the valuable kind. It turns out that one of my 2nd cousins was killed within the first few of days of the encirclement of the german forces. I've now to get in contact with other relatives and find out more about him.

So, may I thank you personaly for continuing your work there. It now means even more to me to keep watching your brilliant thread. Even the finds you consider to be mundane / junk, now show me a little more of what "Frans" had to endure.

Keep going Mate!

Martyn.
    WOW! Really? Did your relative died at Stalingrad?

Smile Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Continue ...
    You remember I wrote that was a rainy day when I was digging. I dug up a bottle of champagne and began to rain. After a rain I again began to dig.
    And I found other interesting things.
    I dug up a dog tags, Romanian and German and other military things.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Quote by Sebastien View Post
    WOW! Really? Did your relative died at Stalingrad?
    According to the Frau and now two of my Aunts there were TWO. One great uncle aswell as my cousin. My family have always been reluctant to talk about the German side of the family and I suppose that can be understood. The British and German sides have fought in both wars and so far I've been told little of this.

Now they realise that I'm not just interested but also respct ALL the fallen, they've started to open up and tell me these things. I don't condone nazism and realise some of the truth about service within the the German forces at the time...... join and fight or you and your family go to the K.Z.

I'm trying to get further information on names and units and will let you know when I do.

Thankyou and have a happy new year!.

Martyn.

Okey Martyn, I'll wait for more information. I'm interested )))))))

I want to show photos of dog tags. And other things I had found in that rainy day.
    This is a clipper, a Romanian dog tag (soldiers from 91 Infantry Regiment of 20 Rumanian division)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Last edited by Sebastien; 12-30-2010 at 08:37 PM.

German dog tag belonged to a soldier of a cavalry battalion 2. KAV. ERS.ABT. 11
    I do not know what the division had the battalion, can my friend Matt says more.
    It's interesting, next to the dog tag I found spur .

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

?

Well Kav. Ers. Abt. 11 supplied replacement troops to a number of field units, however only Aufklärungs-Abteilungen 44, 100 and 297 (of the 44., 100. leichte, and 297. Infanterie-Divisionen, respectively) are listed as having been lost at Stalingrad. AA44 was created from Kavallerie-Regiment 11 and AA100 from Kav. Ers. Abt. 11 directly, so they're the more likely candidates; and since the man's Stammrollennummer is so low, my guess is that he was in Aufklärungs-Abteilung 44. My great uncle was in that division- luckily he was on leave at home when the Kessel was closed...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Well Kav. Ers. Abt. 11 supplied replacement troops to a number of field units, however only Aufklärungs-Abteilungen 44, 100 and 297 (of the 44., 100. leichte, and 297. Infanterie-Divisionen, respectively) are listed as having been lost at Stalingrad. AA44 was created from Kavallerie-Regiment 11 and AA100 from Kav. Ers. Abt. 11 directly, so they're the more likely candidates; and since the man's Stammrollennummer is so low, my guess is that he was in Aufklärungs-Abteilung 44. My great uncle was in that division- luckily he was on leave at home when the Kessel was closed...
    WOW!!!
    I understood that the soldiers of KAV.ERS.ABT.11 came in 44 Infantry Division, 100 light-infantry (Jäger) Division and 297 Infantry Division.
    Now I'm digging in the south of Stalingrad, where during the encirclement fought near 371 th and 297 th Infantry Divisions.
    I think in a ravine, where I dig all many units were mixed: the Germans and Romanians.

?

Sebastien if you ever find anything relating to Infanterie Regt 15 , Infanterie Regt 71 or with 29 on it please let me know ,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 27 of 222 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast