Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 60 of 222 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

Default Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Sebastien,

Wonderful photos! I love the 'then' and 'now' comparison.

Cheers!

?

i just misunderstood i am sorry wagriff regards from turkey

Okay, I think I should continue to publish photos from place of excavation

After a visited to the recruiting office (July 8), I went to see a friend in the village of Gorodische. You remember, my friend dug up a large German bunker, with burnt-out documents and safe.
    We talked with him and agreed to dig at the ravine together.

After meeting with a friend, I dug a little at the ravine near Gumrak...
    I dug up cover for a small shovel. That's all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Last edited by Sebastien; 08-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.

So, the next morning 5 am, we came to position 517 Infantry Regiment, a ravine near the village Gumrak.
    We dug a few hours. Now very hot like last year. 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius). At noon outside it's terrible!

I was digging near a large bunker. I think there was a cart or bike, because I found the different parts.
    My friend found a silver madonna pendant...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak   Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak  

Nice finds!

One heck of a sunset Sebastien!!!!! Good eye. Ron

So, I returned to the ravine near the village Gumrak. You can see town from there...
    The last time I dug up a small bag for a shovel. On this day, I dug up this little shovel in bad condition . I also found a piece of the sheath sabre Soviet Shashka

You remember, my friend dug up a bunker in the steel safe with documents, Wound badge...
    My friend made​a picture of burnt paper. This proves that in this bunker were soldiers of 517 Regiment, 295 Infantry Division.
    ID295 Rekonstruktion eines Tagebuches - Disclaimer

Last edited by Sebastien; 08-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Morning of July 9, 5:00 am. We got up early to dig into the cool time.
    This place is a ravine near the village Gumrak. This area was the headquarters 51 Army Corps.
    We dug a very large German bunker. This is the third attempt to dig it.
    You can see the scope of our work ...

Last edited by Paul D; 02-22-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Dug this bunker a total of 3 days (I was digging one day). In this bunker (we assume that this communication office 517 Infantry Regiment, 295 Infantry Division) was destroyed by fire:
    2 field phone, one portable radio (On a photo near feet you can see fragments of the radio, it was left after the fire.), 2 cigarette case, one wristwatch and one pocket watch, a safe with documents and money, wooden crates with documents and maps, 3 camera, one revolver Nagant, one signal pistol model 1926, box with a syringe ORIGINAL RECORD, 3 pen knife, flashlight, two pairs of shoes, a fork, a pot, one spoon, much of the Soviet broken dishes, many Soviet enameled pots and teapots, glasses, razor blades, wallet with coins and on the roof in garbage friend found Black Wound badge

damn the Nazis

Page 60 of 222 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast