Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 79 of 222 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 179 ... LastLast

Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Article about: by Sebastien I have not the metal detector I am feeling my ass where to dig Right now I have eyes, hands, feet and my spade is all that I use in my hobby

Default Re: Stalingrad: digging near Gorodisсhe & Gumrak

Quote by Jerry View Post
    One question arises after seeing all those finds: do you ever find any weapons, i.e. guns, pistols? Now, I could understand if you can't answer this openly for some legal reason. Seeing all the different artifacts incl. even hand grenades and bayonets, I just though that there must be some guns around there too.
    I had the same question. As frantic as fighting was on the Eastern Front there is no way that many weapons were all collected. After watching excavations of other sites on TV, there has to be a good deal of weapons, especially where bunkers got filled in by artillery or direct attacks.

?

When I went digging in Estonia for several days, we found some relics, but 'only' one PPSh41 ... and one Mosin-Nagant bayonet.

Well, what do You think? :-) If there is a war, there are a lot of weapons and dead soldiers. But after 70 years there are only bones and pieces of rust. According to our laws it is not very wise to upload here any pics of the found ammo and weapons anyway. Nobody of us wants any troubles:-)

?

Indeed.
    I expect that is a factor too.

?

Sure is. Not long ago some Russian diggers got some pretty hard jail sentences for possession and sales of weapons. Lots of the weapons was functional and i can't say i feel too sorry for these guys. Gives diggers a bad name and fame.

I have seen a clip on Television, with some Russian diggers. They dig up an MP40, clean it for earth, put on a fresh magazine and fire off 10 rounds, with a 70 years old MP that has been in the soil since some Grenadier dropped it in 1941. The man tells the camera, that he supplies the Russian mafia with WW2 weapons, he digs up on a regular basis.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, what do You think? :-) If there is a war, there are a lot of weapons and dead soldiers. But after 70 years there are only bones and pieces of rust. According to our laws it is not very wise to upload here any pics of the found ammo and weapons anyway. Nobody of us wants any troubles:-)
    Wise words !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Vonforhud View Post
    I have seen a clip on Television, with some Russian diggers. They dig up an MP40, clean it for earth, put on a fresh magazine and fire off 10 rounds, with a 70 years old MP that has been in the soil since some Grenadier dropped it in 1941. The man tells the camera, that he supplies the Russian mafia with WW2 weapons, he digs up on a regular basis.
    But think about he is on cam and want to give an impression of "being" something. I can assure you the "Russian" mafia and gangsters here does not use WW2 weapons. The so called "Russian" mafia is not Russian. I'm not saying that there is no Russian organized criminals, but what is often referred to as the Russian mafia, is not made up of actual Russians. A little off topic.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Sure is. Not long ago some Russian diggers got some pretty hard jail sentences for possession and sales of weapons. Lots of the weapons was functional and i can't say i feel too sorry for these guys. Gives diggers a bad name and fame.
    On a sidenote; Im simply amazed, that some ground dug guns can be paper thin ghosts of themselves after resto and then some others are functional (after a good clean I assume). Says a lot about the different soil conditions.
    The one I mentioned was barely able to hold together after (careful) resto. In no universe could it ever have been made to work.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    On a sidenote; Im simply amazed, that some ground dug guns can be paper thin ghosts of themselves after resto and then some others are functional (after a good clean I assume). Says a lot about the different soil conditions.
    The one I mentioned was barely able to hold together after (careful) resto. In no universe could it ever have been made to work.
    In the present climate in estonia it would still get you a visit to the Narva cells for a while !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 79 of 222 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 179 ... LastLast