Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sun news paper artical

Article about: by Matt L Well the problem is really MIAs not just identifying remains- if a family knows a relative was killed that's one thing, but if they're forever in limbo because he's missing, that's

Default Re: sun news paper artical

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Well the problem is really MIAs not just identifying remains- if a family knows a relative was killed that's one thing, but if they're forever in limbo because he's missing, that's something altogether different. It's the whole tags taken from field graves that are the real tragedy. And half tags, as I've been saying for years and years and years, are NOT necessarily from graves- they're not even LIKELY from graves- it was standard practice in many places to break discs taken from prisoners- sometimes even into quarters, perhaps to prevent different men from using the same disc to identify themselves when the SS witch hunts were going on or some such thing. I have detectorist friends who've searched known POW assembly sites who find all the discs broken. And often enough men who simply threw their identification away broke their discs as well- one of those friends finds many discs broken and the halves many metres (and sometimes years) apart. The last one he found the second half of a disc he discovered several years ago 30m away!

It's all about knowing the source and trusting that they are not scumbags or will buy from people they don't know. I've only ever dealt with people I felt I could trust did not have anything that might have been looted or stocked stuff from anyone they didn't themselves trust.
    Matt,

Agreed about source, I will clarify I won't have a ground found top half in my collection as even if it is not from a grave there is a chance it is. If dealers also didn't handle ground found top halfs this might reduce the registered grave robbing? cause and effect?

Jock

If I ever found a fallen soldier my enjoyment would be in helping to identify the remains. As a member of HM forces, I would only do what I hope some body would do for me. That pretty much goes for everything in my world, I let people out in traffic, let others go first etc. all in the hope that someone will do the same for me.

?

Gentlemen congratualtions on a sensible discussion here with some valid points being made without someone making the usual "grave robbing " statements, this is a difficult subject with many facets to it but unfortunatley the presence of black diggers will always be there negating the tremendous work done by the guys who do it right in conjunction with the relevant authorities usually giving up large amounts of their own time and resources in what can be very difficult circumstances.

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    If I ever found a fallen soldier my enjoyment would be in helping to identify the remains. As a member of HM forces, I would only do what I hope some body would do for me.
    I did, as many here know, and yes it gives you a real sense of achievement However don't look at this through rose coloured glasses. I can assure you, that if a farmer comes across remains on his field, he is more likely to "kick the earth back in" This is because in most cases the local police are called first, and then they identify whether it is a wartime body, or a local murder. Then if it is identified as a fallen soldier the the CCWG are called in, usually PS4 department, part of the Army service. Then the body is exhumed and taken to a local cemetery until the relatives (if any) are contacted. All this time the poor old farmer cannot get on with earning a living around that area. I have known farmers in France, who discover a German body, and just kick the earth back over. Sad but true. And as for our Russian friends........most of the Mafia money gets laundered over here as they buy up Daggers and De-acts to clean the drug money. I have been to shows where they spend over 10,000 at a time, all in crisp 50 notes.

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I did, as many here know, and yes it gives you a real sense of achievement However don't look at this through rose coloured glasses. I can assure you, that if a farmer comes across remains on his field, he is more likely to "kick the earth back in" This is because in most cases the local police are called first, and then they identify whether it is a wartime body, or a local murder. Then if it is identified as a fallen soldier the the CCWG are called in, usually PS4 department, part of the Army service. Then the body is exhumed and taken to a local cemetery until the relatives (if any) are contacted. All this time the poor old farmer cannot get on with earning a living around that area. I have known farmers in France, who discover a German body, and just kick the earth back over.
    Thats a real shame, I can see why all this red tape is neccesary, but maybe the rules need reviewing to stop this happening. Lets just hope that somthing like the 1st WW never happens again.

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I did, as many here know, and yes it gives you a real sense of achievement However don't look at this through rose coloured glasses. I can assure you, that if a farmer comes across remains on his field, he is more likely to "kick the earth back in" This is because in most cases the local police are called first, and then they identify whether it is a wartime body, or a local murder. Then if it is identified as a fallen soldier the the CCWG are called in, usually PS4 department, part of the Army service. Then the body is exhumed and taken to a local cemetery until the relatives (if any) are contacted. All this time the poor old farmer cannot get on with earning a living around that area. I have known farmers in France, who discover a German body, and just kick the earth back over. Sad but true. And as for our Russian friends........most of the Mafia money gets laundered over here as they buy up Daggers and De-acts to clean the drug money. I have been to shows where they spend over 10,000 at a time, all in crisp 50 notes.
    Can only agree with John i'm afraid i found a German soldier on the Somme in 2006 , reported it to the authorities for the proper procedures to take place and he's still, there they never bothered exhumimg him !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12