Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sussex D.Day training grounds

Article about: Heres a pic of a shell ground picked from the hills above the coast of sussex used by the canadians prior to d day,its 330mm tall and 82mm at the base,i found two many years ago,i did have a

Default Sussex D.Day training grounds

Heres a pic of a shell ground picked from the hills above the coast of sussex used by the canadians prior to d day,its 330mm tall and 82mm at the base,i found two many years ago,i did have a sten gun cut in half as it was ploughed up but i sold that upon getting married [silly boy],there was a live mortar on a shelf of a farmers outside toilet but i dont know what happened to that,nothing nasty i hope.Does anyone recognise the shell ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sussex D.Day training grounds  

Default Re: Sussex D.Day training grounds

looks like a 105 to me.

What does the top of it look like, is it hollow?

im thinking 25pdr BE SMK ,it looks very slightly tapered at the base can you measure it further up above where it tapers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sussex D.Day training grounds  

nice picture,i agree with diameter as drawing and top is 60mm o.d.

It's a 25 pounder.

Take a look here at the ones I found (base ejecting smoke rounds by the way.....NOT dangerous in any way )

25 pounder re-united

Steve T

verty interesting thank you,ive found a fuse on e bay so im getting near to assembling one like you,thanks again Colin.