Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Todays Finds :)

Article about: Hi all, I think i found a dumping area it was very boggy but seem to have lots of signals didn't have time to dig them all 1: 20mm 2: A pile of mud 3: all in the same hole, What are these? 4

Default Todays Finds :)

Hi all,
    I think i found a dumping area it was very boggy but seem to have lots of signals didn't have time to dig them all

1: 20mm
    2: A pile of mud
    3: all in the same hole, What are these?
    4: 3 unkown items
    5:20mm's, 50cals and heads
    6: Do i get a point Steve? i even kept this peice of wood that was in the same hole as picture:3
    7: items cleaned off
    8:found some numbers on a few of them

I was covered in mud at the end but it was a good fun

Thanks for looking

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Todays Finds :)   Todays Finds :)  

Todays Finds :)   Todays Finds :)  

Todays Finds :)  

Default Re: Todays Finds :)

Hi Mate,
    Interesting finds well done.
    The piece of wood looks like the internal rack for holding shells or bombs in an ammo box and the numbered alloy items are definately off an aircraft because plenty of the pieces I have found have similar marks ie the small marked circle and numbers. Look forward to seeing others views and what else your site will yield.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hello mate that makes sense I can picture bombs on it now. Should be going back soon for another go.

Nice finds WH and yes, point awarded for keeping the bit of wood

A nice collection of cartridges, and in similar condition to ones I've found in boggy ground before. Brass doesn't like boggy ground at all ! The bottom cartridge looks like it is a coffman.

The aluminium alloy tubes are the same as ones I find on airbases. Must be something to do with aircraft !

Cheers

Steve T

PS I can confirm picture 2 is a large pile of mud.

Hello

Could you post a link to your thread with the ones you found Steve please i can't find it

I'm starting to clean them up and protect them and i've found some new markings

I'm not 100% sure but i think it reads DHL 10

Cheers

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Todays Finds :)   Todays Finds :)  

Of course !

But I'll do it slightly different...Here's pics of some of my tubes. Must admit I don't tend to post them up any more as I find so many. Must have about 20 in my 'waiting to be ID'd' box

Mine have never had markings or paint on them like yours, but look the same non-the-less.

BUT...having seen the picture of you holding one they are quite a bit thicker than mine. Definitely looks like an engine component of some description. Coolant pipe ?

Cheers

Steve T

I think the straight ones that are crimped are valve covers from a
    radial engine,I will post one I have from a Dutch Dornier destroyed
    at Broome Western Australia by the Japnese.
    Regards Mike

in the fourth picture down you have a long metal piece with a slot running through the middle with a 90degree turn at the end, this looks very similar to the stay for the inner windscreen of a vehicle. You would have one on either side of the inner screen and the slot at the end would engage in the shaft of the retaining nut, John.

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    in the fourth picture down you have a long metal piece with a slot running through the middle with a 90degree turn at the end, this looks very similar to the stay for the inner windscreen of a vehicle. You would have one on either side of the inner screen and the slot at the end would engage in the shaft of the retaining nut, John.
    I think your right i was thinking along the same lines

cheers

Thanks for posting your Steve. i've thought of going to a museum and trying to find these bits on the planes. Did yours have any markings on?