Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

trench dagger or bajonet wwI?

Article about: Had this dagger for nearly 25 years now, it was picked up on the battle fields in Ypres. It's in poor condition, missing both grips and very rusty, but is stabile. Now I remeber ever seeing

Default trench dagger or bajonet wwI?

Had this dagger for nearly 25 years now, it was picked up on the battle fields in Ypres. It's in poor condition, missing both grips and very rusty, but is stabile.
    Now I remeber ever seeing something like it on a picture in a book, it was attached to a Affe of troops from Austria.
    Anybody who can make a positive ID on it, would love to know what it is after all these years!
    Thanks for any input.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture trench dagger or bajonet wwI?   trench dagger or bajonet wwI?  

trench dagger or bajonet wwI?  

Default Re: trench dagger or bajonet wwI?

Could the blade be from a Belgian M1889 ?

There is a certain similarity in the shape of the end of the fuller.

Regards

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture trench dagger or bajonet wwI?  

Hmmm that looks the same. Maybe it is a BĂȘlgian bajonet that has been modified?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Hmmm that looks the same. Maybe it is a BĂȘlgian bajonet that has been modified?
    That's what I was thinking.

I wonder if anybody knows what a Belgian bajonet looks like with the wooden plates removed, does it have the same shape as this one? An other strange thing is that the brass or copper piece on my dagger can not be removed, so it looks like it was made in a factory or something, cast around the dagger.
    A friend of mine put these pictures on a Belgian bajonet forum for determination, but nobody knows what it is yet. I'll look up the photograph I found in a book on post it here. It shows some Austrian soldiers in the trenches with a dagger on their backpack, that looks a bit like this one I have.