Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Article about: Nice I love the dental mirror. Have you tried it yet ? Looks like it will still do its job quite nicely Steve T

?

Default Re: Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Thats a nice little find there John, they dont normally survive that well, Now will you please stop aggravating Steve, you know how cranky he gets if hes not sitting in dirt finding something, he even buries little things in his kids sandpit just so he can start digging!!!!

fantastic thread guys

Wow they look great you've done a great job cleaning them.
    LS

The correct name for the firewatchers helmet is a Zuckerman helmet.
    See the wiki link for details. Zuckerman helmet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's mine.

A couple of accumulator batteries, the glass one is a civilian battery for home Radio use. The other battery is an RAF type.

Unusually the embossed instructions section shows the Air Ministry and RAF markings, but on this one they have been deliberately scratched away? perhaps it was stolen from the RAF?

A couple of WD pottery sherds, when found I noticed the war date on the mug shard but it was a pleasant surprise to see it was RAF marked when cleaned.

When found this soda syphon was encased in a badly rusted wire mesh cover, these were often fitted between the wars for safety (due to great pressure and thus could explode). When cleaned the mesh was so rusted that it fell away to reveal the nice markings and pictoral. The picture shows images of gold medals won for the quality of this Mineral Water awarded by European City competions. The Medals shown date between 1896 through to 1910. So it is very likely that this was manufacturer just prior to WW1 but continued in use right through to WW2 when was finally dumped.
    You may have noticed that it still contains the dregs of its last refill which from the colour looks like Ginger Beer and it still retains a little pressure, enough to raise the contents part way up the tube.
    When buried this was in the dark and a fairly constant temperature which preserved the contents. But now its out and in the light and warmth I wonder how long it'll be before it degrades into a black yuky mess .

A remarkably well preserved enameled service mug

Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Wow amazing finds,very impressive that soda syphon is realy nice i want one!!
    Last edited by cornishboy; 10-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Oh wow ! That soda syphon is great !

?

Im not so sure that is ginger beer in there, i think it is soda that has already turned, ginger beer was already carbonated therefore didnt need a syphon to add to drinks, whatever it is you aint gonna like the smell when it comes out !!!! gas masks on Carruthers

that soda syfon is brilliant
    brilliant thread lads

tom

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast