Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Article about: Nice I love the dental mirror. Have you tried it yet ? Looks like it will still do its job quite nicely Steve T

Default Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Hi all

Yesturday me and LS went digging

Sorry the pictures arn't very good only had my phone camera.

Once finds are cleaned we will post more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!   Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!   Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

Default Re: Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!

Looks like you've started hitting the sexy stuff! Excellent finds, i think this is a case of "If your in a hole KEEP digging".

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for posting the pictures, a good day the finds were much better than expected.

I discovered this site several years ago and at that time had an hour or so dig in which I discovered a relic British WW2 Fire Watchers helmet. I was hunting for vintage bottles and as the site proved to be 1940's it was a little too modern so I didn't bother going back !!!!.

But recently I thought it was worth giving it another go, so me and Whitehunter met up to see if we could locate any WW2 relics. The site is most likely a former town refuse tip rather than purely military, but near by is the site of a former RAF airfield and around the area the sites of British troop encampments and before D-Day US troop concentrations.

When we arrived I wasn't even sure we'd go home with anything but nothing ventured nothing gained. We crossed our fingers selected a spot and got stuck in, once through the surface roots it was easy going with loads of rusted tins etc we just pulled them out and preceded forward.
    With in only 5 minutes I'd uncovered the large fuel container with cap still in place which still remains water tight and strong. Hopefully when cleaned it'll reveal some markings or perhaps a date. Ten minutes later I then hit what was for me is gold my first US M1 helmet . Sadly very much in relic condition but who cares I've dug British and German so am well pleased with this . Soon after this Whitehunter called over to me as he pulled out another relic British Fire Watchers helmet. 30 minutes digging and two helmets this was looking good. Then another hour and I uncovered yet another British Firewatchers helmet. You can see in the picture that it had sat in the tip upside down for 65 years which was not good as water pooled inside and this was proved when it was pulled out to reveal a rusted hole. But we couldn't quite believe our luck 3 helmets in just 2 hours digging we thought we were on a roll, would there be anymore.
    Sadly no more helmets but the site wasn't finished just yet, WH got a rusted but very nice Merlin engine exhaust manifold an A US military green plastic torch and even better than this the favourite find of the visit, the fin assembly of a German Incendiary bomb .
    We also got several bottles worth keeping, a few dated fragments of Military pottery, a couple of the early accumulator batteries and pieces of aero alloy etc.

So that's the story so far, we'll post pictures of the finds as they're cleaned and preserved and update this post following our subsequent visits.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

WOW ! Nice finds guys ! I love the fuel tin and the helmets are just awesome. WH.......get pics of the torch up and the fin !

Steve T

Niiiccceee......Fantastic helmets. It's doubtful I'll ever find one, but the excitement of even finding the partial remains of one would
    be awesome. Heck of a find guys!

Great stuff guy's!!! Cant wate to see the relics cleaned up.

Hello

I've been cleaning the incendiary fin this evening. I've had to stick it back together because it fell apart Which made me very upset and i nearly lost my temper, Luckily i stayed calm and stuck ever peice i could find back together .

What do you think?

I've also inclued a picture of the G.I's torch. Your not going to believe this! It has the persons name and number ingraved onto it !!!

Will post more pictures once it's clean

Thanks

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!   Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

Tripple helmet day! plus more!!!  

That torch is a great find!! Its on my must find list!!

Hi John,
    Sorry to hear about the fin, but you did a good job sticking it back together. What you need to do when it's dry is varnish it with a matt varnish perhaps even two or three coats. It keeps the air out but actually sticks it together and will make it stronger, the metal sealer may not do that? If you see any weak points you could strengthen them with a little piece of tissue/toilet paper laid across the weak point and then a few drops of super glue to soak it. It'll dry in a couple of minutes very strong and the process makes the paper go clear making a pretty much invisable repair.
    That torch was a good find and then for you to recover its base a couple of hours later further into the hole was awesome, but now to discover a name and number makes it unique. Hopefully something can be traced about the owners history.
    I've been busy cleaning some of mine, the flimsy fuel container has been hard work because much of it was covered in tar but its coming back nice now so hopefully will be able to post some pics tomorrow, and best of all its painted Desert Tan.
    The Relic M1 is a fixed bale because it still retains one, but its so very weak I'm afraid to even sneeze near it. I'm going to have to reinforce parts with the method mentioned above. I'm even toying with the idea once matt varnished to perhaps coat the inside with a paintable glue that dries clear (just an idea).
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Fantastic news about the torch. Let us know if you trace the serviceman or if you need some help tracing him

Steve T

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast