Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)

Article about: Over the years I've found quite a few bits and peices from this site. The smaller items are included just to show the scale, they include a NAAFI cup (Ive found 8 plus a few saucers). The fi

Default UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)

Over the years I've found quite a few bits and peices from this site. The smaller items are included just to show the scale, they include a NAAFI cup (Ive found 8 plus a few saucers). The fired cartridges are .30 cal I think, marked just with a T and 43. An unopened anti gas salve had a few of those, an RAF badge.
    I need help indentifying the large metal object, made of brass only markings are YORK and ELLAND on the base a painted E or M with a line through it. Looks like it was a pressurised container perhaps for oxygen (only guessing) size exactly 11.5 inches (29.5cm) by 3 inches (7.5cm). Of course it could be junk so your help would be appreciated.
    The airfield had both RAF and later USAF flying from it with fighters and transports.
    Thank You in advance.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)   UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)  

UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)   UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)  

UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)  

?

Default Re: UK WW2 Airfield find (Identification)

It might be a gas charger for a pressurised fire extinguisher ?

Gary J.

Rick
    ?

Looks to me to be an oil filter housing maybe!!

Looks like a fire extinguisher to me

Nice finds...I love the badge. I have just come back from another visit to the airfield I go to....will post some pics soon

Steve T

Hi All,
    Thanks for all your help, I'll go with the fire extinguisher suggestion. It does seem quite a small size makes me think it couldn't have been of much use on an Airfield fire. But if it is just the propellant/gas canister then perhaps it was part of a larger more useful extinguisher.

Steve T I'm looking forward with baited breath to your latest Airfield finds thread. I for one get as much pleasure seeing what you unearth and helping to identify them as you do finding them. They're always great threads and the pictures superb, they're one of the main reasons I've been logging onto this site recently. Long may they continue.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

There is a fire extinguisher company called Nu Swift in Elland that has produced extinguishers since before ww2 ,may be worth a chance contacting them ref your item http://www.nu-swift.com/