Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

United States Plane Crash Laws Question?

Article about: What's the laws in the U.S. pertaining to taking objects. I see things for sale that came from military plane crash sites, and I'm wondering if it's even legal to do?

?

Default United States Plane Crash Laws Question?

What's the laws in the U.S. pertaining to taking objects. I see things for sale that came from military plane crash sites, and I'm wondering if it's even legal to do?

?

Default Re: United States Plane Crash Laws Question?

Depends on the state. Each one has different laws about salvage. If it is from someones elses private property you MUST have their permission to be there. On US public land you can't dig for anything.
    SteveR

Apparently, if the crash site in on land, there are almost no regulations regarding the protection of said site. That said, many crash sites are in very remote areas that are difficult to reach. A few that I know about are actually in state or national parks where it it illegal to remove anything except for modern trash. Of course this only applied to those sites that are known to be free of human remains. Also it is illegal to disturb any sunken military wreck site, from aircraft to ship iregardless of the age.

Anything U.S. Navy is still owned by them, no exceptions. Removing any aircraft parts is frowned upon for several reasons. Look at it, take pictures of it, but don't disturb it at all!. Out of respect for the aircrew, just leave it alone. And, think about it, if everybody hauled away a piece here and there, pretty soon their is nothing left for future generations. The Sierra Club used to smelt all downed aircraft wrecks on site! Let common sense prevail for once!!

The Sierra Club used to smelt all downed aircraft wrecks on site! Let common sense prevail for once!!
    Who are these people? Never heard of them before, tis'all.

Luke

Quote by uber_soldat View Post
    Who are these people? Never heard of them before, tis'all.

Luke
    The Sierra Club is an incorporated group of clubs in the U.S. that lobby for new laws and push for enforcement of usage laws in national, state, and city park land. They frequently file lawsuits against the government on contract rights between the government and private companies doing business on said lands. I am not a member. Like anything else, they have their good and bad points.

Jay
    Last edited by sitges1990; 05-06-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: sp