Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)

Article about: Here are some pictures of tree graffiti carved by bored GI's during both World Wars. The pictures were taken a few years ago but the trees are still there a tangible living link with the pas

Default A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)

Here are some pictures of tree graffiti carved by bored GI's during both World Wars. The pictures were taken a few years ago but the trees are still there a tangible living link with the past.
    This site was used during WW1 as a field camp for US troops before they were transported to the South coast ports for shipment to the Western Front. The first two pictures show three early WW1 US dog tags that were all found there. The first picture of tree carving is a link to those days being dated 31 OCT 1918 (just 11 days before hostilities ceased).
    Again during WW2 the area was used by US troops before D Day and later a small hospital was set up for casualties evacuated from the fighting in North West Europe.
    I did also find a selection of spent cartridge cases and buttons from that conflict. When reading the graffiti, it always strikes me that they seem to show a low level of education in the troops, you'll notice the reversed 'S' etc. But they would have been children growing up through the 1930's depression so I doubt if much was spent on education when much of the population was relying on Government hand outs at soup kitchens.
    Remember its always worth recording the past it's our history, so if you have any carved trees near you like this, you should get out and record them take some photo's or rubbings while they're still around.
    I hope you enjoy the pictures.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)   A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)   A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)   A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

Default Re: A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)

The carvings in those trees seem to be in pretty good shape considering the age!

James Woodforde
    ?

Default Re: A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)

I am doing some research on WW2 tree graffiti, and wondered if someone can give a location for these please?[/I]

Quote by James Woodforde View Post
    I am doing some research on WW2 tree graffiti, and wondered if someone can give a location for these please?[/I]
    Some of these trees are in or near Sussex.

Charlie Bynski was in the Lake Superior Regiment. "C. Bynski,
    Kenora Ont Can" was carved onto one of the trees
    there in 1944.
    He was the brother of my wife's Grandfather Tony, and was
    killed in April of '45 during mop-up in Holland - two weeks
    before VE day - when the lead vehicle he was in hit
    a mine. His brother was in the 3rd or 4th vehicle
    behind and saw it go up.........

Beech tree engraving link to war-time memories - Kenora Daily Miner and News - Ontario, CA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)   A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-29-2018 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added info.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Never mind ... not to focused tonight.

Sorry,
    Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

If ever your in Dorset pop to Lulworth castle as the local GI's added their 'tabs' in the castle building ,namely the hallway. Of course this was in the time of preps for D.Day.

Some trees in Saltram House (Plymouth) had G.I. messages carved into them.Also article about them in an issue of After the Battle.

Its a fascinating subject this, we should all make an effort to record what's left of this grafitti while we can because unfortunately all the trees are now getting pretty old and you never know just how long they'll last. We could all take pictures, tree rubbings or if really lucky be on site when they were felled, to perhaps save the sections of the trunk with the curving intact

I have sent a pm to James Woodforde to tell him where the trees are, but I have also posted the site with an aerial picture of the location on the WW2 Relic Retrieval and Presservation Groups sub forum.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Histoire d’Hénouville » Le camp américain Twenty Grand à St Pierre de Varengeville

The Cigarette Camps: U. S. Army Camps in the LeHavre Area -- Camp Twenty Grand

Gentlemen,here are 2 links to studies on a US camp near my town of Rouen.The second is in English,don't forget to click on the carved names listing.Sadly,i searched for this camp one day,but the people i asked to help me in the villa ge had forgotten the exact location,plus,it was below 0°,my childs were frozen,so....i had to try again!

James Woodforde
    ?

Dear Luckystrike
    Thank you very much for your email off forum. Much appreciated.
    The graffiti that I've just discovered is at Honingham in Norfolk, near USAAF Attlebridge. Photo attached.
    James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A US Army camp in England that still lives ! (Two World Wars of GI tree graffiti)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast