Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Article about: Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of

Default Re: US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Steve,
    I've lived in Chelmsford for the last 15 or so years. I have known about 2 POW camps for German prisoners for quite few years. I know of the location of one of these camps, plus the location of a POW camp for Italians. I have hunted and hunted for the location of the other camp for ages, I know roughly where it was but have never been able to pin point it. A month ago I was at the local RAF club talking to my friend Cyril about his experiences during the forties, when I asked about the prisoner of war camp. Cyril introduced me to his wife who, he said, lived next door to said camp She tells me of the location, and then calls over one of their friends and gets him to tell me about his sisters. BOTH of his sisters got married to German POW's from that camp
    It may have taken a while to find the missing camp, but it was worth finding the location how I did.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Tim,
    I just found a list of UK POW camps still in use Feb 1947, no 277 is South Littleton. I've scanned its address. It shouldn't be hard to trace the location, but if its still a recreation ground then Im not sure permission to search will be easily obtained. Anyway hope it helps.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.  

Luckstrike,
    Can you pm me the website for the POW camp list
    Thanks, Simon.

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Tim,
    I just found a list of UK POW camps still in use Feb 1947, no 277 is South Littleton. I've scanned its address. It shouldn't be hard to trace the location, but if its still a recreation ground then Im not sure permission to search will be easily obtained. Anyway hope it helps.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    I know where this is? There is still recreation area used by dog walkers etc and a tennis club building nearby and nowt else! But-imagine running a detector around the area-sure to find something from that period. Regards, Tim.

Tim,
    It was Whitehunter (John) that dug the dog skull next to me, he said it 'scared the living day lights out of him, uncovering that!!!'. Its an interesting and unusual piece of Militaria.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Cheers for that mate as im still trying to fathom whos who lol! Yes, the skull is certainly unusual and would have either been from a guard dog or maybe Squadron mascot as Simon suggested-deffinately one of the two as no one would have buried a family pet in that location and at the same depth as the metal relic material etc. Once we have moved after the 14th June i will unpack the skull and get some decent pics of it as ive cleaned it up and its complete bar one or two of the smaller bottom jaw teeth. Its deffinately German Shepherd dog and if it had been one of the patrol dogs from the base would have been trained to attack intruders without hesitation-maybe even kill if necessary as im sure these dogs patrolled in pairs along with an armed guard. Interesting stuff and who knows what will be unearthed next time! Regards, Tim.

To Tim and all the diggers, cheers for another great days digging , sorry I just missed you Steve but I was over the other side and when I came to say Hi you'd gone.
    Anyway he's a few pic's of the day and some of my finds, I haven't cleaned anything yet,I'm still abit knackered.
    Notice the GI boot, will be working on its cleaning (hope to find markings) and preservation
    Will keep you posted
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    That boot is yet another fantastic find-brilliant stuff! Regards, Tim.

Hi Tim,
    Thats great news you know the location, are there patches of rough ground where MD would not be a problem or is it all short nicely kemp lawn?.
    Perhaps you could get the skull framed, with a picture of the airfield or similar perimeter. You could even find a picture on line of an airbase guard dog patrol to use with the display would look very effective, as I said before an unusual and probably unique find.
    I'm working on the boot, its coming along when its restored/preserved I'll post pic's maybe on the restoration thread.
    Hi Simon, The details of the camp were not online, it's from After the Battle magazine issue number 76. You can still buy back issues online from After the Battle publications, if you don't get it. I'll bring it up next time we all meet up.
    Cheers.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Tim,
    If the German shepherd was a trained attack/guard dog this may explain its possibly being destroyed when the place was shut down. It may not have been possible to re-home. I have heard that some 'war dogs' used by US forces were put down, as they were trained attack dogs and not possible to be intergrated into homes as pets. For further info look for a documentary by Nat Geo (?) called "War Dogs of the Pacific".

By the way, I feel that we have put far to much info on the web as to the location of the dig site, and future sites. This could lead to site vandalism etc.

Regards to all, Simon.

Luckstrike,
    Thanks for the info. In case I can not get to the next dig, is it possible for you to have a look through the list and see what they have written for Chelmsford Essex? I know of the exact location of the German POW camp at Hylands house, as I have a copy of an RAF photo taken over the place just after it was used as a training ground by the Special Air Service. The position I need is for the POW camp in the Springield area of Chelmsford Essex.
    Thanks, Simon.

Hi Tim,
    Thats great news you know the location, are there patches of rough ground where MD would not be a problem or is it all short nicely kemp lawn?.
    Perhaps you could get the skull framed, with a picture of the airfield or similar perimeter. You could even find a picture on line of an airbase guard dog patrol to use with the display would look very effective, as I said before an unusual and probably unique find.
    I'm working on the boot, its coming along when its restored/preserved I'll post pic's maybe on the restoration thread.
    Hi Simon, The details of the camp were not online, it's from After the Battle magazine issue number 76. You can still buy back issues online from After the Battle publications, if you don't get it. I'll bring it up next time we all meet up.
    Cheers.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    If its the site i was told about its more or less in the main village area where the kids playground and park is. I dont think there is anything other than the field to scan really. I know there was once an air raid shelter there. The mound still exists but last time i looked there a kids slide had been placed on top of it. I do know of a Polish camp too and someone found some coins there a few years back but dont know who owns this patch of land now as the old polish guy who used to tend the site as there was a memorial there has died. The memorial is still there and last time i went and had walk round was eery as it felt as if we were being watched even though not a soul around! Regards, Tim.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast