Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Article about: Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of

Default US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of 37mm case this is im not sure at the moment other than its a US one. The screw in type primer hole would point to the 37mm round as used in the US Airacobra, but this is a guess at this time. Another rather unusual find found by one of the diggers was the skull which was found buried deep with the relics. This may well have been a Squadron mascot or amybe guard dog. Im sure a civie would not have buried their beloved pet where this was found. The brown bottles were found still intact and containing some form of liquid but again what this is i dont know. Also found a very nice but rather eye wateringly long hypodermic sryringe needle. In all those who attended had a good day and again left with bagfulls of finds. Im sure the other guys will start posting their finds shortly and i know that there are some very very good finds coming up and cant wait to see the pictures. Hope these will do for now! Regards, Tim.

Default Re: US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Heres just a few pictures of some of the items found today. What i thought was really nice was the 37mm shell case base found by Simon which looks like it was used as n ashtray. What type of 37mm case this is im not sure at the moment other than its a US one. The screw in type primer hole would point to the 37mm round as used in the US Airacobra, but this is a guess at this time. Another rather unusual find found by one of the diggers was the skull which was found buried deep with the relics. This may well have been a Squadron mascot or amybe guard dog. Im sure a civie would not have buried their beloved pet where this was found. The brown bottles were found still intact and containing some form of liquid but again what this is i dont know. Also found a very nice but rather eye wateringly long hypodermic sryringe needle. In all those who attended had a good day and again left with bagfulls of finds. Im sure the other guys will start posting their finds shortly and i know that there are some very very good finds coming up and cant wait to see the pictures. Hope these will do for now! Regards, Tim.
    Looking at the 37mm shell case base found by simon the words "NASCO" stand for the National Enameling & Stamping Company of Milwaukee USA. This company apparently also manufactured 20mm Hispano ammunition and other munitions right through to the Korean war period. What Simon found appears to be a base cut off to make some form of ashtray, though the primer is missing so would see pointless. This i think was agreat find all the same. Regards, Tim.

?

Interesting stuff! Been following this thread keenly. Not much help but the US did operate Airacobras, with 37mm cannon, very briefly in the UK. They were based at Atcham near Shrewsbury and were here long enough to lose two, one fatal and one with a happy ending. That shell case could well be related. Why bring one all the way from the US? Keep posting, Fascinating!

Hi all,
    I'll keep this brief as I'm shattered.
    The 37mm 'ashtray' looks to me as though someone started working it, with a view of it becoming an ashtray or similar, but gave up with it before it was finished. Bored storeman passing his time, or perhaps a similar story?
    I'll put more info and pictures up tomorow.
    Cheers for the day Tim.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Quote by ian_ View Post
    Interesting stuff! Been following this thread keenly. Not much help but the US did operate Airacobras, with 37mm cannon, very briefly in the UK. They were based at Atcham near Shrewsbury and were here long enough to lose two, one fatal and one with a happy ending. That shell case could well be related. Why bring one all the way from the US? Keep posting, Fascinating!
    Never ceases to surprise me at some of the intriguing bits we find at that dump. That 37mm base section is very interesting. I have similar case but of WW1 era and the Americans used it in WW2 in the Airacobra 37mm cannon. Cant remember the case dimensions now but im sure its 37mmx145. Regards, Tim.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Hi all,
    I'll keep this brief as I'm shattered.
    The 37mm 'ashtray' looks to me as though someone started working it, with a view of it becoming an ashtray or similar, but gave up with it before it was finished. Bored storeman passing his time, or perhaps a similar story?
    I'll put more info and pictures up tomorow.
    Cheers for the day Tim.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    I would agree with you on that one Simon, its deffo an unfinnished trench art piece. Wonder what other such treasures lie under the ground there? Cheers Loads, Tim.

Had a really enjoyable day. Thanks to Tim again

My best find of the day a Complete cup

I would have been happy just to find 1 spoon

Spoons are British and American, British ones have broad arrows on

British bottles. One on the right has been burnt and transformed into a intresting shape

American buttons. Should Clean up well later

Different bits and peices

Thanks Again, look forward to seeing every ones finds

John

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Had a really enjoyable day. Thanks to Tim again

My best find of the day a Complete cup

I would have been happy just to find 1 spoon

Spoons are British and American, British ones have broad arrows on

British bottles. One on the right has been burnt and transformed into a intresting shape

American buttons. Should Clean up well later

Different bits and peices

Thanks Again, look forward to seeing every ones finds

John
    Glad you had some good finds John! These should look great cleaned up. The mug might be a pre-op shaving job. I found a complete one some years back but its rare i would think. In all good work and theres obviously still loads more to be found! I think we should look at getting a mini digger up there at some stage and i will have to seek permission to dig on the other side of the fence too. Regards, Tim.

First a group picture of what are my favourite finds of the day.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.  

next photo is of the first aid kit stabbed with my 'lucky' fork.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Dump 2nd Dig Finds.  

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast