Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

US Army Dump Dig AUGUST DATE??

Article about: by jimpy I have typed the wording down exactly as I can read it off the stencil. If I cant make out a letter/number, I have put a ? in place. Thanks Ian, These are in the list as: 3788900 Su

Default Re: US Army Dump Dig AUGUST DATE??

Hi chaps, i would be up for another bash somtime later this year. A couple of members have mentioned getting a mechanical digger. I dont know if anyone else has experience, but i have a good amount of hours on the little mini diggers, through restoring our house. The small mini/s are amazing little machines and can fit in the smallest of places, that said the edge of the bank is not the ideal place to use one.
    They are very cheap to hire.
    Regards, Tim H.

?

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Anyone found out, and put a name to, where all the medical equipment came from ?
    From my post on one of the other threads about this site:

From the location it would appear to be the tip for the Honeybourne Depot, which housed a number of US Army depots during WWII.

The primary site was General Depot G-24, which as the title suggests held all types of stores for distribution to smaller dedicated Ordnance and Supply depots around the UK.
    Alongside G-24 was Medical Depot M-104M, one of the first US Army depots to open in the UK, which was in operation from 18th March 1942 to 25th March 1945.
    Medical supplies continued to be held on site, and after VE Day much of the US Army ETO medical stock was concentrated at Honeybourne, so much so that G-24 was converted into a dedicated medical supply depot and retitled Medical Depot M-424 on the 27th June 1945.

It was also home to two Army Post Office units.
    APO 135 between the 12th January 1944 and the 3rd August 1944 when it moved to Le Mesnil Vicot in France, and APO 124 between 19th May 1944 and 19th October 1944 when it moved to Mens in Belgium.

By 1946 the depot had been returned to British control, and it would appear that the medical supplies were also handed over at the same time.
    I have a partial unit list for the Honeybourne Depot:

December 1943:

271st Quartermaster Service Battalion
    180th Quartermaster Battalion (HQ & HQ Detachment only)
    534th Quartermaster Service Battalion (Company C only)

March 1944:

229th Quartermaster Salvage Collecting Company (Detachments C and D only)
    304th Quartermaster Sterilization Battalion (HQ, HQ Detachment and Medical Detachment only)
    512th Quartermaster Maintenance Battalion (HQ, HQ Detachment and Medical Detachment only)
    613th Quartermaster Depot Company (Part)
    3862nd Quartermaster Truck Company
    3864th Quartermaster Truck Company
    4082nd Quartermaster Service Company
    4083rd Quartermaster Service Company
    4085th Quartermaster Service Company
    4147th Quartermaster Service Company

June 1944:

236th Quartermaster Battalion
    304th Quartermaster Sterilization Battalion (HQ & HQ Detachment only)
    419th Quartermaster Bakery Company
    613th Quartermaster Depot (S Company, No.3 Platoon only)
    3191st Quartermaster Service Company
    3862nd Quartermaster Truck Company
    3867th Quartermaster Truck Company
    4082nd Quartermaster Service Company
    4085th Quartermaster Service Company

August 1944:

3248th Quartermaster Service Company

December 1944:

541st Quartermaster Battalion

May 1945:

All the best,
    PB

Thanks Paul
    Regards, Simon.

?

No problem Simon.

One thing I must ask of all those who found stencils.

Could you please make a note of the item name and number and let me know them please.
    Those I've seen appear to be mostly Class 3 supplies (part numbers 3xxxxxx), and there are gaps in the know list that we might be able to fill with any luck.

All the best,
    PB

Paul, I'll write down the info off the stencils that i've got first thing in the morning and post them on here for you.
    Regards, Simon.

?

Ta very much,

PB

Re - Honeybourne Depot:-

"The Secretary of State for War who informs me that it is very difficult to guard as it covers 345 acres and the perimeter fence is 4 miles long. The guard consists of 48 soldiers and 5 night watchmen. We are already disposing of the stores, most of which are medical supplies and instruments. More than half of them have already been transferred to the Ministry of Health or sold to universities and research institutes and we hope to clear the depot completely early in 1948."

Regards to all, Simon.

Good to hear from you 381st digger, I'm looking forward to seeing your cutlery when its cleaned up, it was amazing condition. I found one handle the same as yours but its thick with rust so its soaking in rust remover as we speak.

Tim I'm up for a day dig any time even bad weather, heres why? Argus sell fishing umbrella's for around 14.00 they're huge about 2m across, a camo sort of green, very sturdy and well made. They have an adjustable pole with a spike on the end for anchoring to the ground and even guy ropes if needed. With one you never need worry about the rain, I've used it before happily digging under its shelter perfectly dry. At that price its a good buy just to keep in the car.... British weather and all that.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Quote by Paul B View Post
    No problem Simon.

One thing I must ask of all those who found stencils.

Could you please make a note of the item name and number and let me know them please.
    Those I've seen appear to be mostly Class 3 supplies (part numbers 3xxxxxx), and there are gaps in the know list that we might be able to fill with any luck.

All the best,
    PB

Paul

I liberated 4 of the stencils at the end when they were there for all to have. The ones that I have are as below:

SUTURE, SILK, SIZE 0
    SPOOL 540
    ------------------------------

SUTURE, SILKWORM GUT
    COARSE, 100 SUTURES
    3805000-B
    EA 480
    ------------------------------

SUTURE, SILK, BRAIDED
    NON-CAPILLARY, SIZE 0?
    ?5 YDS.
    ?797100
    ?A. 480

-----------------------------

SUTURE, EYE,SILK
    SIZE 4-0, DOUBLE
    ARMED, 12
    PKG. 100

-----------------------------

I have typed the wording down exactly as I can read it off the stencil. If I cant make out a letter/number, I have put a ? in place.

Hope this is of some help mate.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Sorry forgot that I'd said that I'd write the numbers down, I'll try and remember in the morning.
    Reagrds to all, Simon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast