Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A US GI named chain bracelet !!

Article about: Outstanding!

Default A US GI named chain bracelet !!

Hello guys!
    This is a really moving item that was discovered a couple of weeks ago by a French member of my Normandie digger's site...
    He found this beauty(i think this is the right term,looking at the pics..) and my heart stopped when reading the love message on its back...
    This man tried to trace the former owner,but due to his poor English(mine's not really better,hi hi hi!) and a lack of time,he gave up.
    Not me!
    I make a long story short:after Nara's list,a good help from an US friend,we were able to say that sadly,this veteran passed away in July 1995,but his widow's still alive and he has child!
    After calling the US embassy in Paris,who said to me that they will never give me an adress,nor a phone number,("send us the chain,we manage to give it back..."No way!!)i mailed the New York (where he was born in 1925,and enlisted in 1943) veterans affair bureau.
    2 days later(this morning,in fact) they replied to me,confirming the fact that i will not have his widow adress.I have to write them ,indicating my Email adress,or home adress,and they will send all to this old woman.Free to her or to her child to contact me after....
    As soon as i find a moment to write a good letter,i do it!
    Next step will be to make a decent parcel,with a letter explaining where and how,and by who this relic was discovered.
    Our greatest wish is to send back the chain bracelet to Stanley's family.
    This item belongs to them,it's a matter of honour for us to see it back to the States.
    Some people think that french have forget what US did for them...Not us!
    I will keep you informed,and if you think you can help us,feel free to PM me!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A US GI named chain bracelet !!   A US GI named chain bracelet !!  

Default Re: A US GI named chain bracelet !!

Seb......that is truly magnificent and a great story.

If you need help tracking down his daughter, I can do it without the nonsense of going through the 'official' channels. Drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I need to help me track her down for you

Good job my friend....DAMN good job !

Steve T

?

Excellent work Seb , this is the truly rewarding part of digging !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Cracking find. Thanks for sharing

Amazing find.

Hope it can be returned to the family...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you for your comments guys!
    Steve,i think i will need you ,cause i had a recent mail from a man looking for his widow in the US of A,and i'm sure he's mistaking.For me ,he 's not tracing the right Marciniak...

This is awesome looking forward to the comeing progress , cheers Raymond

Hello boys!
    I received today the chain bracelet by mail.
    I will make a long story short.
    After trying to track the family of this man by my self without success,i contacted the US bureau of vets,that finally reached me.
    LCL Griggs,the US attaché militaire from the US Embassy in Paris phoned me,and in a couple of days ,i will send him the 2 chain bracelet,cause an another one is to come soon to me.The US gov will give them back to the families.They will be back 64 years after being lost on the ground of France.
    I have the chain close to me,and let me tell you that this item is quite moving,especially when i look at Marciniak's parents word of love....
    I'm quite proud ,no need to say...
    The less we can do for them...

Superb work Seb. I am damn pleased for you. Excellent result Hopefully the Vet society will pass your details on to the families and they may just send you a thank you note

Steve T

Thanks Steve!And i figure out you can understand what kind of proudness it brings...(correct me if i'm wrong,the GI's watch,it was you?)
    Fact are that ,apparently,the descendants of these men don't want to hear a word about this story.LCL Griggs guaranteed me that we will have a US Army official receipt for the bracelets.We'd love to have a pic of the soldiers too,story to put a face on a name.Life is not virtual,after all!
    LCL Griggs is also responsible for the DDay commemoration events in France.A very kind person,even if it seems that my English's better than his French,ha ha ha!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast