Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF Airbase - August 2011

Article about: Hi all Well, after a few months away from 'my' USAAF base, I managed to get back there this week. I was hoping that the dump would give me some good finds but, after 2 hours of back-breaking

Default USAAF Airbase - August 2011

Hi all

Well, after a few months away from 'my' USAAF base, I managed to get back there this week. I was hoping that the dump would give me some good finds but, after 2 hours of back-breaking digging, all I had was a toothbrush and 4,000 rusty tin cans.

So, I set off into the surrounding area to give it a good going over with my metal detector. Had some decent finds and was generally pleased with the visit. However, the dump is proving rather disappointing and, at 6 feet deep, it's a lot of hard work for bugger all !!!

I think the airbase is more or less clear now. And yes, I know I've said that on at least 3 separate occasions, but I think it just about is now. It won't be long before I say a sad goodbye to the place.......

Anyway, enough of feeling sorry for myself, here's the finds.

Before cleaning.......

And after.....

A nice piece of dated crockery, a great Ipana toothpaste tube, and a nail varnish bottle.

Merlin engine exhaust stub lock washer, cap off a flimsy.

A couple of coins, (the thr'penny bit is nicely dated), a cap off something and a couple of other odd bits.

A bakelite razor handle, a toothbrush and another bakelite item, this time stamped 'US'.

Shavallo, and a Gibbs tin.

20mm and 50cals. Found these in a very tight area, right next to where I found the 50cals on my last trip. What they were doing here I have no idea, as the area is nowhere near any of the armoury or other buildings that would have housed this ammo. Most odd....

A really nice find. A Polo lighter, made in the 30s and 40s. No name engraved on it but I am searching the base 'lost and found' to see if anyone lost a Polo lighter

And now the last find. Another dental pan. The third one I've found at this site.

However, this one has one major difference compared to the other two.

Can you spot it ?

You need to look closer......

Really close....

It has a War Department arrow on it !!!!! You can probably tell, I am a bit chuffed

Anyway, not bad I suppose. Could have been worse

Cheers

Steve T

Default Re: USAAF Airbase - August 2011

I think it's pretty cool stuff! Good job!

Thanks GP

I think the airbase is more or less clear now. And yes, I know I've said that on at least 3 separate occasions, but I think it just about is now. It won't be long before I say a sad goodbye to the place.....

E-trac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice mixed bag, dental pan is a great find

John

Hi Steve, the item described as "another bakelite item, this time stamped 'US'" is the handle from a wartime mess kit knife.

I think you will get withdrawal symtoms if you ever stop going to this site!

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    E-trac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, you know as well as I that in our only MD trip to the same site, my SS2 found more than your E-spac..........

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think you will get withdrawal symtoms if you ever stop going to this site!

Cheers, Ade.
    You are probably right. I think next time I go I'm going to take some muscle to shift the soil !

Steve T