Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010

Article about: Hi all Well on the date in the title I had anticipated searching a whole new site. However, when I got there it quickly became obvious that there was no way I was going to gain access to the

Default USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010

Hi all

Well on the date in the title I had anticipated searching a whole new site. However, when I got there it quickly became obvious that there was no way I was going to gain access to the airfield or even the barracks, even though they were some distance from the main base.

So I ended up back at 'my' base again, despite the fact that I was convinced the place was more or less free of finds after all my previous visits.

However, once again the damn place threw me a curve ball and came up with some astonishing finds, especially considering I've now searched it 33 times !

Here we go.....

Before cleaning.

And then after cleaning.....

I also found this as well, but without any markings I can't be sure it's the right era. Certainly metal paintbrushes are fairly few and far between nowadays.

A Squire lock with the key snapped off in it, an old musket ball ? And a jack plug of some description.

A metal circular 'tin' of some description with nice markings on the top. I can't track it down to anything though. Does it look like anything you know ?

Now this little devil surprised me. It has the same kind of nomenclature of an aircraft instrument panel dial but has no visible markings. I have tried tracking it down but the gauge isn't as high as aircraft gauges. I believe it's a fuel pressure gauge. Anyone know what it's off ?

This was an odd find as well, and the thrid 'toy' I've found on the site. This one was badly corroded and in two bits but seems to be a steam engine of the 'mallard' type. Curiously it is made in America. Anyone seen anything like it before ?

Some nice lids on this visit.

And a few buttons. The RAF button is VERY small. Is it a collar button perhaps ?

Some old pennies....

...and a lovely little tin. This was not that deep so I thought it would turn out to be trash, but when I managed to get it open it turned out to be a Gillette razor tin from the 1940's ! Nice find

Last but not least the usual cartridges. 303s first....

And three 50cals and one 20mm. Curiously the 20mm has been cut vertically almost to the base. Very odd.

And that's all for that visit. Strange how the site keeps coming up with the goods !

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010   USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010  

USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010   USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010  

USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010   USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010  

USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010  

Default Re: USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010

Nice one Steve.
    That Razor tin is a really good find.

?

Your instrument is an USAAF Type C-13 Fuel Pressure Gauge, as fitted to P-38s.
    P-51s only seem to have had Manifold Pressure Gauges.

The toy looks to be the back end of a fuel tanker, rather than the front end of a steam loco.

All the best,
    PB

Quote by Paul B View Post
    Your instrument is an USAAF Type C-13 Fuel Pressure Gauge, as fitted to P-38s.
    P-51s only seem to have had Manifold Pressure Gauges.

The toy looks to be the back end of a fuel tanker, rather than the front end of a steam loco.

All the best,
    PB
    Oh wow ! A bit off a P-38 ! Cool

And I agree with you PB. I did think it was a fuel tanker but tossed a coin and it landed heads so I settled on steam loco

Cheers

Steve T

Can anyone help with the RAF button or the silver thingy (Stadium) ??

Cheers

Steve T

Hi Steve, the RAF button will be off the Field Service cap.

Chers, Ade.

Great

Thanks for that Ade

Steve T

So i stumbled across this thread and thought i would reply..As it happens i collect old toys ! And that fuel truck you have there is a 1930's Era Tootsie Toy Fuel truck I have a whole one in my collection ..Here is a pic of the 4 that i have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF airbase barracks - 31st March 2010  

OH WOW !

Thanks very much

That's just remarkable

Cheers

Steve T