Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Article about: Understood Steve. I'd hate for the ban to cover you too that's all. You get some great finds there and as you know, intrigueing ones. No offence meant in any way. Martyn.

Default Re: USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Understood Steve. I'd hate for the ban to cover you too that's all. You get some great finds there and as you know, intrigueing ones.

No offence meant in any way.

Martyn.

Default Re: USAAF airbase Barracks - August 2010 - Will this place EVER been clear ??? :D

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Understood Steve. I'd hate for the ban to cover you too that's all. You get some great finds there and as you know, intrigueing ones.

No offence meant in any way.

Martyn.
    None taken at all mate

I can still find stuff at the barracks location. To be honest, I prefer the barracks anyway......much more interesting finds. All the best finds, (except the merlin engine exhaust stubs), have come from the barracks

Cheers

Steve T

PS and I also reckon the base itself is more or less clear of finds. There's only a vry few places to search and they are a fraction of the area you can search around the old barracks

Welcome back Steve, its been a while since your last Airfield post. You've done really well some cracking finds there. Hats off to you. The O on the German tag is the owners blood group. I like the button it looks like a modified Gernan pebble dash button could it be trench art?, perhaps to disguise the German button for escape. Probably not but nice find.
    The watch is another top find, of course it could have belonged to someone who served there but it could just as easily be from someone imprisoned there a POW. The surname could be German.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Lucky

Thanks for the info on the 'O'.

The button is definitely NOT trench art. It is far too detailed and shows no sign of being taken apart. The markings on the back of the button read 'Superior Quality Warranty' with a crown between the 2nd and third words. The crown is EXACTLY the same as is seen on the RAF badge. This leads me to think it may be RAF in origin but certainly nothing that I have seen before.

I have traced an American Lieutenant called 'Oliver Jelks' via a guy in the states who is trying to trace all the Jelks in the USA. It is a very rare surname so I am hopeful of tracking him or his descendants down. It would be marvellous to return this relic to the rightful owners. Any tips on hunting down ex servicemen would be greatly appreciated.

And BTW.....the round item appears to be the remains of a pocket watch. There is a rusted 'pin' in the centre of what remains of the face, and a hole in the surround that would be where the winder sat. I can just make out clockworkings inside the rust.

And as for the tag........I was so excited I nearly rang the wife ! But then I remembered her reaction last time I rang her so ditched the idea and moved on

Cheers

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    And as for the tag........I was so excited I nearly rang the wife ! But then I remembered her reaction last time I rang her so ditched the idea and moved on
    I'm sure most of us have been there!

Steve, this may seem strange but I'll ask anyway... The button, have you tried unscrewing the front from the back? I've seen a couple of RAF buttons that had items inside. Just a thought...

Your search for the watch owner is a brilliant result. Going to PM you.

Martyn.

?

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Steve, try from an old curtain rail. Honest. I haven't seen one of those since the 70's.
    Martyn is correct.

I have a box full of these salvaged from our old living-room curtain track - The little wheels are very useful!

Don

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    A watch.......but what is more important is that it has someones name engraved on the back !!! I am in the process of seeing if it was anyone statioend at the base. 10k gold filled....whatever that means The name is 'Oliver Jelks'.....an unusual name
    A nice Elgin Tank-style watch case there.
    Following the release of the Cartier "Tank" rectangular wristwatch, these became very fashionable in the late 1930s but making rectangular movements to fit inside was difficult and expensive.
    Most companies used their standard circular movements and decorated the case with stepped edges to accommodate them while keeping the appearance of a rectangle, as can be clearly seen in this example.
    "Gold Filled", AKA "Rolled Gold" is a technique of applying a surface of gold to a brass or other base-metal watch case. As opposed to plating, a thin layer of gold is physically pressed into the surface of the case.

But enough of this technical mumbo-jumbo and onto more important matters.

The US Enlistment Records for WWII list a single Oliver Jelks, and he was enrolled into the Army Air Forces...
    18102479 Oliver R Jelks Jr. to be precise, born in Georgia in 1900 and enrolled as a Private at San Antonio, Texas, on the 23rd of January 1942.
    He'd likely have known all about the Gold Filled process, having been a "chemist, assayer or metallurgist" prior to enlistment.

All the best,
    PB

Paul B

Many thanks mate The info on the watch is great.

I am sure you will have seen the other thread in this forum detailing the way in which I positively ID'd the owner of the watch, and am returning it to his family.

Steve T

?

Ta Steve,

Sorry, I'd missed the other thread completely.

PB

No worries

I don't think I'll ever get over this......it's thrilled me to bits

Steve T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12