Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF airbase dump - Best find yet - April 2011

Article about: Very nice Steve,

Default USAAF airbase dump - Best find yet - April 2011

Hi all

I have decided to open a new thread about the dump for two reasons. Firstly, this is probably my last visit there for a while as the landowner has attacked the site with a JCB. I now cannot tell where has been dug and where hasn't, and there are two trees in imminent danger of falling down and I'd rather not be there when it happens !

I spent half my time digging the dump, and the other half MDing around the buildings and air-raid shelters, hence the mix of finds.

So here we go with the finds.

I did take a picture of everything before cleaning but can't find the damn thing ! Oh well.....

First group shot after cleaning.

A few nice tubes this time around. I particularly like the bottom tube, 'Starkist' toothpaste ! Also, the Gibbs tin is the first of this type I've found, all the others from this base being the plain embossed type.

Denture moulds I think. Fairly sure they are, seeing as I found them behind the old dental surgery on the site.

A brass ring with nice markings on the inside. No idea what it's off though.

I found a large number of bottles and peices of crockery as per usual with this dump, but this time brought very few home with me as I have examples of most now. Took these as one is nicely dated, the other I thought might be the bottom off the Coke bottle I found last time.....it wasn't

Next group photo, after cleaning. I am sure the keen eyed amongst you will already have spotted the awesome find of the trip !

An electrical component I believe, kept for the markings.

A fork, unfortunately not marked, and a handle from a mess tin utensil set marked 'US'

A .45, a .30 and a chopped up .50cal. The .45 has been cunningly turned so you can't see the big hole on the other side of the cartridge !

Various buckles and a piece of chain from a plug/dogtag. The buckle bottom left has got me baffled. It is marked 'Gents' which leads me to think it's a watch strap buckle, but I may be way off the mark. Anyone recognise it ?

A close up of the 'Gents' buckle.

Three pennies.

This curious item is made of aircraft alloy and appears to have the markings '155' on it. Given the amount of fixing holes on the piece, I can only assume it had to withstand a LOT of pressure. Anyone know what it's off ?

Tea ration tins. Loads of them. I found a small pile of these behind the generator building. Most appear to have been packed in June 1945.

And here is my find of the day.

A T-30 throat mic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I nearly left this behind as, when I first saw it I saw the end of the cable. Being a dump, I have come across hundreds of lengths of cable like this and was going to leave it when I decided to give it a tug. I was so pleased when the other portion popped out of the dirt that I very nearly rang the wife. However, remembering her total lack of excitement last time I did this I refrained

You can just about make out the markings in the close up picture. T -30 -S (showing it was made by the Universal Microphone Company, USA).

This made the whole trip worthwhile !

Hope you like the finds.

Steve T

Default Re: USAAF airbase dump - Best find yet - April 2011

Hi Steve,
    Thats agreat selection, I love the tea tins and of course the throat mic Id say quite a rare find. Im pleased you decided to pull the cable I have the same trouble with my site, sooo much cable its easy to leave it but so far Ive had no luck with anything of interest on the end of mine.
    Those tooth moulds are great condition lovely finds and with the tooth paste tubes will make great very interesting display pieces.
    Another successful dig I'd say.
    Cheers for now.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks LS. The throat mic is a little beauty. I am so chuffed with it

Steve T

PS I'm just burning some DVDs for you and WH. Keep an eye out for a signed delivery in the mail !

The 'Gents' buckle and the broken one to it's immediate right are from a medical truss! That'll keep yer tackle tight!!

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

As a pharmacist, you'd think I'd have spotted that !!! Oh well.....never mind Thanks Ned.

The 'hook' buckle I thought was off a gas mask bag ?

Steve T

Very nice Steve well done.
    The moral of the story is allways yank ya cable.
    Andy

Quote by Steve T View Post
    As a pharmacist, you'd think I'd have spotted that !!! Oh well.....never mind Thanks Ned.

The 'hook' buckle I thought was off a gas mask bag ?

Steve T
    Steve i would allso say gasmask bag but iv been wrong before

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    The moral of the story is allways yank ya cable.
    A wise piece of advice which I would echo with anyone digging on a dump. Or in any number of other instances.

Steve T

?

"Gents Own" made trouser braces at one point.

Quote by Paul B View Post
    "Gents Own" made trouser braces at one point.
    Thanks PB. That makes it feel a little better than a 'truss' buckle

What do you think to the throat mic btw ? A liitle corker or what !

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast