Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Utah beach still producing finds

Article about: Hello thought I would share a couple of pictures of ordnance still turning up on Utah beach. I found all of these at exit 3 a couple of weekends ago. There was no digging required and had le

Default Re: Utah beach still producing finds

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    Absolutely no sarcasm in my reply,be sure of that.
    Do you think that me,Frenchfrog,could easily and freely dig on a former Raf or Usaaf landing site in the UK?
    I do see your point seb and agree with you to a certain degree. However, you will of course realise that our landing grounds are a million miles away from the Normandy beaches with regards historical importance. It is this that attracts the relic hunters in their droves to Normandy. I am sure a large number of them end up on the wrong side of the law, but it is a risk some are willing to take. That being said, I can easily see how you French guys can get annoyed at the number of people picking through your countryside, taking away your buried history, which is precisely why the removal of relics from the ground is now illegal in so many areas of France.

As for visiting UK sites, you could indeed dig on those sites in the UK with just the landowners permission. I for one would be more than willing to take you round a few. Many British relic hunters have taken stuff from your country so I see no problem with you coming to ours and doing the same !

Steve T

Dear Steve,in fact,i do believe that this kind of relics rather belong to the one whose ancestors gave their life for my freedom,rather than to some french black sellers that have nothing to see with these historical events.I do prefer you to collect these relics than to find them on a french flea market at crazy prices,without respect for the memory of the one that lost it.
    And as do not dig myself,it's my pleasure to admire these pieces on this forum!

Hi

As Steve has already said here are places here that you can detect as long as you have the landowners permission. Around my area (Surrey/Hampshire border) a lot of the land that did have a military purpose is still owned the Ministry of Defence and retained for training purposes and covered by strict byelaws preventing detecting or the removal of metal objects. If caught you risk a fine and possible confiscation of your equipment.

That said, there is an abandoned camp near me that was a staging post for Canadian troups in the build up to D-Day and have to confess to having been down a few times with the detector. I certainly do not advocate detecting on private land without permission or on areas of historical significance, but don't have too many concerns about a ex-army camp now lost in the woods. All of my recovered items, both here and in France are preserved and displayed. These items have a historical signficance for both the French and the UK, USA, Canada and others and I would personally rather see them dug up and preserved for future generations. My relics collection will ultimately pass to my son and to me it keeps the events alive for future generations -sorry if it sounds evangelical but if the hunt for relics is done in a responsible and respectful way, and for the right reasons, I have no issue with it - after all the events of D-Day and the liberation of Europe are part of a shared history.

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    Dear Steve,in fact,i do believe that this kind of relics rather belong to the one whose ancestors gave their life for my freedom,rather than to some french black sellers that have nothing to see with these historical events.I do prefer you to collect these relics than to find them on a french flea market at crazy prices,without respect for the memory of the one that lost it.
    And as do not dig myself,it's my pleasure to admire these pieces on this forum!
    hello. I posted my reply before I read yours. Just wanted to say that it is great to hear you say that and that's why it is important to share finds on forums such as this.

kind regards
    Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123