Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Valley of Death

Article about: I honestly don't want any more disscussion of this nature either. It has been covered countless times before thank you.

Default The Valley of Death

This is an article on Englishrussia.com about in the Novgorod region. I think this will be as interesting for you as it is for me. The gas mask instantly caught my eye!

http://englishrussia.com/2011/05/14/...lley-of-death/

?

Default Re: The Valley of Death

Good link but i must admit it's the girl diggers that caught my eye !!

Message for Dimas and Gurov lets get some girl diggers on our team
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Well, shows how different things can be in Russia Englishrussia.com has alot of history related articles coming out at least every week, its a great website.

i love how they have to use a bmp to get to the dig brilliant like zuken

tom

Here is a link from the same website:Spooky Wartime Findings | English Russia

?

The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Great links, Paul E! It is always fascinating to see pictures from WW2 and then see pictures of people digging up the artifacts today!

Great link and some great finds !

I am with Paul on this though........Why can't we have girl diggers ? I have to put up with looking and DM, WH and Dave all bloody day.

Hang on though........Dave mentioned a daughter.......I wonder if she inherited his looks or her mothers?

DAVE ! Bring her on Saturday so we can see !

Steve T

Does anyone know if those conducting the digging in the links here attempt to research and identify the remains? Or just bury them? I don't see anything wrong with recovering war relics, but sometimes I wonder if some people uncovering remains deal with them appropriately. It looks like something which should be left to the forensic anthropologists. For example, I could imagine someone carelessly removing I.D. disks from remains without acknowledging their use in identification.

I've always wanted to help excavate former battlefields, but I'm still not sure what I feel to be right or wrong. For example, I'd feel uneasy about unearthing a skeleton of a German soldier and removing from the remains an Iron Cross or a helmet for my own collection. I don't see an issue with taking something found separately from remains however. The logical side of me reminds me that no dead person has any need for material possessions any longer, and feeling bad about the idea of taking from them is a product of people's natural tendency to apply feelings to the dead... of course, digging up an actual grave is just desecration and theft. Perhaps the term 'grave robbing' (as I've seen used) is inappropriate in terms of relic digging since these soldiers DON'T have a grave, until such people turn their remains in? I realise that historical artefacts will be lost forever if left buried.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on such issues. I know it's been discussed before, and it can be quite a heated issue, but I feel I need to hear other's points of view on this.

Mat

?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Does anyone know if those conducting the digging in the links here attempt to research and identify the remains? Or just bury them? I don't see anything wrong with recovering war relics, but sometimes I wonder if some people uncovering remains deal with them appropriately. It looks like something which should be left to the forensic anthropologists. For example, I could imagine someone carelessly removing I.D. disks from remains without acknowledging their use in identification.

I've always wanted to help excavate former battlefields, but I'm still not sure what I feel to be right or wrong. For example, I'd feel uneasy about unearthing a skeleton of a German soldier and removing from the remains an Iron Cross or a helmet for my own collection. I don't see an issue with taking something found separately from remains however. The logical side of me reminds me that no dead person has any need for material possessions any longer, and feeling bad about the idea of taking from them is a product of people's natural tendency to apply feelings to the dead... of course, digging up an actual grave is just desecration and theft. Perhaps the term 'grave robbing' (as I've seen used) is inappropriate in terms of relic digging since these soldiers DON'T have a grave, until such people turn their remains in? I realise that historical artefacts will be lost forever if left buried.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on such issues. I know it's been discussed before, and it can be quite a heated issue, but I feel I need to hear other's points of view on this.

Mat
    Mat discussions on the rights or wrongs of Battlefield Archeologists / diggers etc etc has been covered in other threads and i must admit i weary of discussing it all again ........ !!

1st July 1916

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast