Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vehicle and its emblem?

Article about: Recently whilst away in the Ardennes and walking in the forest (an area where the US 99th Inf Div had plenty of action) I saw a little bit of rusted metal sticking out of the ground. After a

Default Vehicle and its emblem?

Recently whilst away in the Ardennes and walking in the forest (an area where the US 99th Inf Div had plenty of action) I saw a little bit of rusted metal sticking out of the ground. After a little work scraping, digging and pulling I freed it up to find this, the relic remains of a fold down windscreen surround. I immediately thought could it be from a jeep but soon discounted that. But just behind and under the windscreen surround I also pulled this folding metal tonneau frame out.
    I was a long way from my car and being heavy it wasn't possible to keep it all (maybe its junk anyway) so I took a few pictures for reference. But I did keep the peice with the painted emblem on.
    It was an overcast day and with the trees it was a little dark which has affected the colours slightly and some pictures are a little blurred.
    Since getting back I've been scouring US emblems etc but with no joy, I did think may be it was for a Major but the two small yellow slashes between the yellow leaves or whatever they represent discount that.The circle is painted a sky blue and the red showing in places appears to be an undercoat.
    I'm posting here to see if you have any ideas what vehicle this came from and can you identify the emblem, all theories are gratefully received
    The metal toggle at the top of the side, that slid into the grommet for holding the folded windscreen down is straight.
    I realise this could be from a post WW2 vehicle perhaps dumped by a farmer or forestry worker but either way it'd be nice to know. It must have been lying there for some time judging by the depth it had sunk.
    Thanks for any help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vehicle and its emblem?   Vehicle and its emblem?  

Vehicle and its emblem?   Vehicle and its emblem?  

Default Re: Vehicle and its emblem?

LUCKYSTRIKE

Have you tried looking at German emblems ?

Maybe its from a Kubelwagon or something similar

Steve T

Hi Steve....
    thats a very nice thought, but think it's maybe a tad too big for a Kubel.... shame, but perhaps its from a Horch or Steyr? That'd be nice. Yes I've had a good look through the German emblems and found the German 11th Inf Div used a blue circle but can't find them in the Ardennes Offensive.
    For everyones ref heres a link to a great site In Mai 1939 unit emblems were introduced for Inf
    I'm now wondering if the yellow markings are perhaps the flames of a flaming grenade symbol whatever that means?. I'll keep searching.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Looks like lily or flower petals...........

Could it be from an american dodge truck ? & could the sign be from a non divisional unit ? Just a unoffical sign ?
    I am currently researching an American unit that was stationed in the vilage where I live , they where part of a non divisional unit & had unoffical unit insignia

Could it possibly be an eidelweiss? Don't know if I spelled it right