Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Verdun area

Article about: Dear friends: I am a new member in this forum. I am a collector of both militaria and war relics. In a few days I´ll go to visit Verdun battlefield. Anybody lives near Verdun? It´s frecuent

wittman
    ?

Default Verdun area

Dear friends:
    I am a new member in this forum. I am a collector of both militaria and war relics. In a few days I´ll go to visit Verdun battlefield. Anybody lives near Verdun? It´s frecuent to find war relics there walking along? Are there militaria dealers in the area?

Thanks you very much

Default Re: Verdun area

Quote by wittman View Post
    Dear friends:
    I am a new member in this forum. I am a collector of both militaria and war relics. In a few days I´ll go to visit Verdun battlefield. Anybody lives near Verdun? It´s frecuent to find war relics there walking along? Are there militaria dealers in the area?

Thanks you very much
    I would be very careful about "digging around" in Verdun. I think that you will find that the French regard this area as sacred ground. Detecting is definitely a no no... you could, when i was there clearly see the trench lines in the forest, up until a few years ago there was an abundance of artefacts, just lying about, but they are long gone now. The forts are well worth a visit, very eerie, especially when you know the story. There was a very good military shop in the town, not sure if he's still there, reasonably priced too.....Best of luck

Different situation over here in Italy, on the Asiago alps there are hundreds of abbandoned trenches and caves unexplored, so much stuff to dig out but very dangerous digging without being carefull. Last year a guy exploded digging up a mortar shell....
    La Grande Guerra 1915 - 1918
    ortigara

?

hello,
    this thread gives me the chance to consider a prope guide, country by country, about the local laws and regulations about relic hunting/digging. In order to avoid surprises when we feel Indiana Jones outside our own country...

chaberton
    ?

If the french police find a metal detector even in the trunk of your car you will pay a huge fine and your metal confiscated,so watch out!Metal in Verdun is strictly forbidden.
    regards
    Chaberton

appie
    ?

Quote by chaberton View Post
    If the french police find a metal detector even in the trunk of your car you will pay a huge fine and your metal confiscated,so watch out!Metal in Verdun is strictly forbidden.
    regards
    Chaberton
    They even patrol that area specialy for detectors!

Quote by wittman View Post
    Dear friends:

Thanks you very much
    Hello wittman, welcome to the forum
    The museum of the Fort de la Pompelle (just outside Reims) is worth a visite.
    I didn't ask, but it seems to me; trade is possible.
    There is a shop on the road from Maubeuge to Mons just a mile before the border...but I couldn't recommend it!
    And Laon is also a nice place to visite as well, if you like historical sites, not specially related to WWI!!