Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

A very interesting find! "To the Soviet 16th Army"

Article about: by Aleksander P Mortality rate in the camps was extremely high and even if you we're freed, you'd most likely end up in a gulag. Stalin saw prisoners of war, as traitors of the motherland, b

Great stuff mate, I'll take one too when you come to sell some. Do you have a picture of the grenades themselves and the dig spot too? It would be cool to have that in the frame along with the leaflet.

?

Hello Andy

Yes my mate will provide me with the pics ASAP. He have pics from taking the egg apart in the field (with an axe). There are no explosives in them as i wrote. Only the leaflets. He also saved a intact modified M39. When i have them i will upload them of course. Also i will wait selling them until i have the pics as buyers should have them too for the full "story" of these leaflets. The leaflets should be framed with the field pics i think. The leaflets are not big of course. 5.5 X 7.5 cm. I should be home again on Friday and hopefully i will have the pics by then.

I'm pretty exited about these as they in many ways hold so much history and reference. They are damn cool i think

Cheers mate!

?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    Great finds Lars! It makes me want to go digging . I'm interested in acquiring one too, a very unique piece.
    No problem mate I will provide the pics from the field as well to buyers

?

Super interesting find, Lars.

....though surrendering and then suddenly yanking out a grenade and start fiddling with it, might have unforseen consequenses, LOL!

Of course if the Germans knew about the method of concealing the note, that might go a long way towards putting a damper on itchy German trigger fingers :-)

Look forward to pics.

?

Maybe i don't understand your post correctly but the M39 eggs looks to be modified for "delivering" the leaflets. The leaflet was a free pass to the German lines There were a lot of leaflets in each M39.

The mod goes like this: Remove the main charge and detonator. Fill the M39 with leaflets. Then an empty Mauser casing was inserted and inside it a small blasting cap marked with a "T" at the bottom. Maybe the cap destroyed a few leaflets or just cracked open the M39. I can't say. Obviously a M39 detonator would completely destroy the leaflets. Anyway i will post pics of an intact modified M39

Cheers

?

If I understand it correctly, its looks like a grenade but it has been modified to contain a 'free passage' note?

Certainly very interesting and I look forward to pics of the modded grenade. Great find.

?

Correct. I will think they used to throw them over to the Soviets or something. It might have been difficult to hand them over directly

I look forward to the pics myself!

Cheers

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Correct. I will think they used to throw them over to the Soviets or something. It might have been difficult to hand them over directly

I look forward to the pics myself!

Cheers
    I believe, you are correct. I think, thats what they call an 'understatement'

I can see it for my inner eye, them running around in circles (the Russian swatting at the German soldier with an E-Tool) and the German going "But I just want you to have this - put it in your pocket!!!"

?

Priceless Scout

What a fantastic piece of history. Great find!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast