Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

visiting Ardennes, start searching

Article about: Hi, I’m new to the forum, and so far posted some medals in the German forum. I have been visiting a lot of battle fields in the past, just to be there, feel the atmosphere, see the paces, bu

?

Default visiting Ardennes, start searching

Hi,
    I’m new to the forum, and so far posted some medals in the German forum. I have been visiting a lot of battle fields in the past, just to be there, feel the atmosphere, see the paces, but never actually went searching for relics. (Of course you always hope to find something). I picked up some things at the Somme, but this is not very difficult, it’s lying on the surface. But even the smallest finds make you wonder what's the story behind it, and what happened to the men who belonged it to.

This weekend I have some spare time, and I’m going to the Ardennes, in the surrounding of la Gleize, (I could also stop at Hürtgen forest) And I would like to find something, or start searching. I’m going to do some research where to look, marching trails, troop movements. Is it even possible to find anything without a metal detector? I red some threads and understand it’s forbidden to search with a metal detector.

Any tips on how to act are very welcome,
    Best Regards Menno

?

Default Re: visiting Ardennes, start searching

Nothing to stop you walking the Battlefields as long as you don't go on porivate land but metal detecting is illegal so a no no !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks Paul, any tips on spotting things without a metal detector?

We have a section concerning Technology and Metal Detecting...It includes a wealth of information that you may wish to take a look at before your trip!
    Welcome to the Forum, I hope you take photos and share them with us...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by Menno View Post
    Thanks Paul, any tips on spotting things without a metal detector?
    Mainly just find the old trench lines and keep your eyes peeled !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Found the section, thanks. indeed very good information. I should have started a little earlier! But will do some more reading before I go. It will be nice being in the forest anyhow. If there is anything worth taking a picture of I will do so.
    regards Menno

?

Default Re: visiting Ardennes, start searching Update

Back from my visit to the Ardennes. No finds, at least nothing I dug up myself.
    Of course I was very unprepared. My first visit was near Recogne, I noticed some
    foxhole's during the Bastogne historic walk last year. There were two "problems"
    There were re-enactors who dug new hole's, and there were thousands other people
    who saw the foxholes. So they were dug up already, lots of pans, kettles and shoes lying
    around, so it looked like a dump-hole for the locals. I took a rolled up steel wire
    that somebody else dug up, but didn't seem to find interesting. It could well be from a local farmer also.
    I could notice other hole's but did not do any digging. I think it was municipal / community property but
    I still had the idea I was trespassing, and found it strange to start digging in these woods.

I'm pretty sure I found the location of a fuel storage outside of Francorchamps, I have a book about
    the attacks, and the routes of Peiper and his panzer corps and there's a picture in it of the storage.
    The place I was standing looked very much the same as in the picture. But again it didn't feel good to start digging
    or searching, especially along the roadside.

So what I did was follow the routes the Germans went, and the Allied forces. This was very nice also, it's amazing how
    small the distances were between the villages that were in different hands. And the difficult terrain. I guess they followed
    the roads most of the time's because the roadsides are very steep. Not easy to make your way through the woods. Of course the roads were very different also, no tarmac, but just paths trough the woods. The attacks found place at the outskirts
    of the villages, but the villages grew, so that must mean the actual place's are in the villages now.

A question about foxholes; the one's I saw were dug out for about 50 cm. But they had to be at least 4 or 5 foot deep,
    to get cover. That means the stuff to find lies at the bottom, and you have to dig at least that deep.?

So far my experience in the Ardennes. I think to do this properly it takes a lot of work in preparation, getting permission,and at the location itself. The threads about look what I found today are not that easy as they seem! I would like to tag along with somebody to see how it actually works some day.

regards Menno

some pictures of the countryside and the thing I took along, comment welcome;