Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

Article about: I am impressed by the finds and their significance. I think that it is too bad that relic hunting is prohibited, since most of these items have historic value and it is guys like WW2Hunter w

Default War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

Found this spring in The hurtgenwald.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War relic's from the Hurtgenwald   War relic's from the Hurtgenwald  

War relic's from the Hurtgenwald  

Default Re: War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

Nice finds WW2

Shame those 7.92's with the MG links still in place were the steel type of cartridges.......they just don't survive well in the ground Another 10 years and you won't find any steel 7.92 ground dug cartridges as they will have all rusted away to nothing.

Steve T

The shame was that they broke in my pocket...I've brought some back from Normandie in good shape and I even have some FN Herstal made 7,92mm,but I still need to clean them up.

I like the finds. Are you using an X-Terra 70?

I will try to post pictures "after clean-up" this weekend,the button's and rifleman's badge restored verry well, also found a sulfadiazine container for 8 tablets a bit melted and twisted(marked UP-JOHN),so I think this officer got pepperd by a mortar round or another violent explosion,I found a total of 4 button's,his badge and rank(2nd Lt),a piece of his gillet(shaving kit),several brass presure button's(i supose ammo pouches)and at last but not least a dime coin dated 1930's,all spread out in a circle about 10feet across.

A very sobering find. This could be where someone died.

Steve T

I've tried to identify him and did weeks of research in battle reports, KIA and MIA list's from the different Div. , it gave me a list of +-430 officers who were KIA or MIA in that area alone.
    I did not find any other personel stuff or human remains to help me with my research,so my best guess is that the guy was evacuated to the aid-station.
    The Hurtgen forrest did deserve its name "The Deathfactory".

Cool Re: War relic's from the Hurtgenwald

This is everithing what i found that day in Hurtgen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War relic's from the Hurtgenwald  

Nice finds.

Although I'm always thrilled to see any type of ground-dug relic, I wish to point out that metal-detecting or any kind of digging is illegal in the Huertgenwald. There are signs posted all over...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast