Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!

Article about: Over the weekend i decided to spend every moment i could on one of my dump sites. On Sunday i was joined bye Gremlin of this web site. Hope you like our finds So the first 3 photos are whats

Default A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!

Over the weekend i decided to spend every moment i could on one of my dump sites. On Sunday i was joined bye Gremlin of this web site. Hope you like our finds So the first 3 photos are whats left of a throat mic.
    Next is... Well im not sure of the proper name but it is the prop from the bottom of a bomb.
    Then some dog tags (allways nice to find)
    Next is some ww2 news paper (this took me ages to sort out as it was a solid lump when we found it)
    Then are some air sickness tablets. Cant believe they are still in there box.
    Then a bomb shaped cut out. Could this be from a plotting table?
    The best find of the day was this cap badge.
    Next a couple of razers and a shaveing foam tube.
    Then a GI spoon and some belt parts.
    Next some interesting pieces of plastic with different types of brit bombers on them.
    And last thing for now is a piece of plastic from the what looks to be the bomberdeers station.
    Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.
    And a special thanks to Gremlin for keeping me company.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!   A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!  

A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!   A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!  

A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!   A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!  

Default Re: A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!

Nice finds, Whats the names and social security numbers on those dog tags?

Default Re: A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    Nice finds, Whats the names and social security numbers on those dog tags?
    Hi,
    Im sorry but i cant let that info out at the moment because it would make it to easy for other "relic hunters" to find my dump. When the dump is empty i will list all of the names of the dog tag owners. So far im up to 43 and a half dog tags.
    Sorry.

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Next some interesting pieces of plastic with different types of brit bombers on them.
    And last thing for now is a piece of plastic from the what looks to be the bomberdeers station.
    The celluloid sheet is part of the aircraft recognition set used with a Shadowgraph Trainer. (Think of a big horizontal overhead projector and screen)

The plastic shard is one of the Bombardier's loading instructions, these were fitted in a rack inside the nose of the B-17. With the bombardier sitting in his seat facing forward, these were mounted on his immediate right. See the photo.

All the best,
    PB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!  

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Hi,
    Im sorry but i cant let that info out at the moment because it would make it to easy for other "relic hunters" to find my dump. When the dump is empty i will list all of the names of the dog tag owners. So far im up to 43 and a half dog tags.
    Sorry.
    I see what you mean,Better if kept secret till its empty

Andy,

Thanks for letting me accompany you on this visit ... it was a brilliant day out ... the state of preservation of many of the items was truely amazing ... I wasn't expecting to find readable 1940s newspaper and airmen's insurance cards ... and thanks for letting me take a few souvenirs ... you were right ... the Ipana toothpaste tube did unfold after soaking in warm water .... and was in really good nick!

Watch out for the post over the next few days ... I'm sending you a few bits and pieces you might find interesting.

Will I ever find an intact Old Spice talculm, cologne or after shave bottle?

All the best,
    Simon

Quote by Paul B View Post

The plastic shard is one of the Bombardier's loading instructions, these were fitted in a rack inside the nose of the B-17. With the bombardier sitting in his seat facing forward, these were mounted on his immediate right. See the photo.

All the best,
    PB
    Paul,
    Thankyou so much for your help and for you photo. Its the nuts when i finally find out what things were for sure!!
    Andy

Hear is the spoon after cleaning.
    And a button i forgot i found befor cleaning.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!   A weekend of digging 8th airforce dump 13&14/3/2010. Me and gremlins big day out!!  

And after cleaning.

Nice finds guys

The propeller I believe is the arming vane for a tail pistol, as shown below. It looks like the groves in the central ring of the vane would have fitted onto the large 'wing nut' in the bomb pistol. When in place, this 'wing nut' prevented the firing pin from prematurely striking the detonator. As the bomb fell, the vane would spin in the airflow, unwind the 'wing nut' and thereby allow the firing pin to be free floating. When the bomb hit the ground, there is then nothing to stop the firing pin shooting forward and striking the detonator.

Now go find another one and send it to me so I can make a nice display piece !!!!

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast