MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Western Front Relics

Article about: As promised here are some items I found some years ago along the Western Front of WW1. All the items where found near Nieuwpoort (Newport) and Diksmuide (Dixsmude). Not many people are aware

Lightbulb Western Front Relics

As promised here are some items I found some years ago along the Western Front of WW1. All the items where found near Nieuwpoort (Newport) and Diksmuide (Dixsmude). Not many people are aware of the fact that it was here that the most important battle of WW1 took place. I'am talking offcourse about the "Battle of the Yser". It was here that the Belgian army stopped the German offensive at a cost of a third of its army. Sixty thousand men died here in a mere two weeks. However the Germans lost the race to the sea and the frontline would not change alot in the next four years.

For those who want to read more:

Battle of the Yser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a map of the area, I marked where most of the objects where found:

Here are some of the Items I found:

The German Shovel was found near to Sint Joris, the bullets, snaps flask and pipe where found near Diksmuide. The detonators where found on a number of places. If you look closely you can see that the German shell still has it's feldgrau paint...

Here is a picture of one of my most beautifull and interesting pieces of my collection, an exploded shell. I took several weeks to clean it beacause when I found it it was nothing more then a clump of rust...

At the moment the only item I have on display in my collection room is the exploded shell, the rest is in a box at the attic...

Thats it for now, in the comming days and weeks I'll post pictures from all the items I have in my collection wich are mainly Third Reich items...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Western Front Relics   Western Front Relics  

Western Front Relics  
    Last edited by Nick VR; 07-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.

john75
    ?

Default Re: Western Front Relics

Really nice relics Nick! Boy, those shell fuses really clean-up nicely...almost as good as the day they came out of the factory. Relics such as these I find particularly fascinating. Thanks for the post!

John75

Thank you for your kind comment. The fuse that looks blue in the lower left corner is made of iron instead of copper. This was because the Germans didn't have any copper left at the end of the war so they started using iron ones...

john75
    ?

Thanks for the insights...I have never had the opportunity to visit these locations personally. I am hoping to get over to see some Western front battlefield before too long...it's just so expensive right now to travel from Canada due to excessive costs incurred by rising gasoline prices.

This is how it used to look in my collection room:

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Western Front Relics  
    Last edited by Nick VR; 07-08-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Great collection of relics Nick , i like the display as found in the feild , cheers Raymond

Hi Nick
    Great display ! I picked up an exploded shell piece myself last year in North East France, what did you use to get yours to come up so well ?
    Cheers
    FW