MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Winter war 1939-40 Leipäsuo combat- KIA Red Army soldiers recovered

Article about: by KriegMann My question is, how do people completely forget about, or miss something like this? Unless everyone was killed or MIA after the battle. I find it strange IMO. Many factors to co

Default Re: Winter war 1939-40 Leipäsuo combat- KIA Red Army soldiers recovered

wow.first time saw this kind of photos

I don't know if a lot of people even Realize just how Many young men in WWII on All the sides just went off to war and were never seen or heard from again. Died "somewhere" "sometime" from "something" and either was buried on the spot or their bodies were simply left where they fell and abandoned to Providence. For every one recovered- who can say how many thousands are unrecovered still? And chances are, they never Will be. Just vanished into the chaos of war, never to be seen again...
    This is good work-albeit an extremely hard and sickening job-to see that there are still people who care about the lost.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

For all i know there is still hundreds of thousands on the Eastern Front. Not that we "run" into them all the time. The Eastern Front is also huge! Some 3000 km and hundreds of km deep, if not thousand something in some sections. It's thought provoking to say the least, being out there. These guys done well. Much respect from me!

Regards, Lars

Very sobering yet so very interesting.
    A very good point William,Hundreds of thousands of families never knowing the fates or resting places of their loved ones.
    This is certainly good work by all involved.
    Cheers
    Dave

?

As my family: I don't know the place of the grave of my grandparents from the mother side, they are both died in the period of the war in Ukraine
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Unbelievable that after all these years, these young mens remains can be recoverd in such a good order of preservation.I only hope and pray that they have relatives still alive who can take comfort in a proper and decent burial.May GOD bless their souls.Truly amazing and dedicated work by the recovery team.

One word ....... phenomenal!

Sad though that most of their families also died never knowing what happened to their sons, brothers, husbands and fathers

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very sad. But well done to the recovery team, makes you think of all the lost souls that lie undiscovered.

Martin

Amazing that the bodies have been preserved so much.
    RIP
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

My God..........very poignant images and video. I'm assuming they are digging in a peat bog which would account for the remarkable state of preservation. Glad those poor souls were found and were able to get a proper burial!!

I couldn't help but think about some of the artefacts that were found.....particularly those SSCH-36 helmets........if the helmet is found with a body, I would hope that everything would go into a coffin for burial, but I see a lot of "battlefield recovered" helmets on ebay. How do we know that the helmets being offered for sale were not dug out of the ground with a skull in it? I'm very wary about purchasing relics now because I don't want anything that may have been dug up with a body. Several years ago, I was shown a human skull that was dug up from a local battlefield from the American Revolution here in Boston. The skull was found many years before with a round piece of grape shot that killed the solider as well as a uniform button. The person who had custody of the skull told me he was thinking about keeping the grape shot ball and button as a momento and I pleaded with him not to. I feel that if such objects are found with human remains, then they should stay with the remains. Just my own personal feeling on that.

Cheers,
    Tim

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast