Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Winter war 1939-40 Leipäsuo combat- KIA Red Army soldiers recovered

Article about: by KriegMann My question is, how do people completely forget about, or miss something like this? Unless everyone was killed or MIA after the battle. I find it strange IMO. Many factors to co

Default Re: Winter war 1939-40 Leipäsuo combat- KIA Red Army soldiers recovered

The thing that always amazed me was what these soldiers endured. they were tough as hell, all of them from both sides for that matter. being able to continue fighting on, after having been in such inhospitable environment for such long periods of time. fighting,sleeping,and working in cold pouring rain and often in blizzards had to be flat out PAINFUL ! never finding any real warth,constantly wet and cold......Hats off to them and these individuals that dug them up.

To be able to survive one week out in these conditions would be a feat by itself today,as far as I am concerned!

as for the bodies,like mentioned, apparently in peat bogs and swamps,the bodies kinda petrify and preserve themselves.

I should really stop complaining about my my flat being cold!!

I don't know were I stand with this , one side says commendable archeiological research / recovery, the others says grave robbery; thats just me and my problem.

I suppose I just don't like seeing KIA soldiers dug up unless it's to reunite them with family members and/or allowing closure.

?

Check the first post, there is clearly mentioned by which of the group this work has been made, and check this picture where the remains is being covered
    Check also post nr 12 https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...87/#post738384
    Where mentioned that relatives found and they are allready visited the grave of their grandfather
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Dimas,

absolutely fascinating thread thank you for sharing the great work this group has done. Can you tell me what happened here to the 123 Cadre Infantry Regiment? Where these fatalities the result of prolonged fighting in the area or the result of a single incident like a bombardment?

Cheers,

Ian.

?

There mostly losses from the Red Army side, this is the area of the Finnish line and exactly Poppius. Soviets seems going to the Finnish ambushement
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

Quote by greimers View Post
    I suppose I just don't like seeing KIA soldiers dug up unless it's to reunite them with family members and/or allowing closure.
    They will be buried with their comrades at the "War Graves" cemeteries where many other unknown KIA's a put to their final resting place. Both Russian and German. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt there is any "grave robbing" involved here.

Regards, Lars

?

This is good stuff Dimas. Well done by those guys

Regards, Lars

?

I was wrong: the soldiers belonged to the 161 Rifle Regiment, 95th Rifle Division, the battles date are 5th March, 1940 year
    Regards,
    Dimas

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast