Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!

Article about: Went out for a winter walk today and discovered a nice surprise. It's well off the beaten track which has helped to preserve it. There's non of the usual modern graffiti, vandalism or rubbis

Default Re: Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!

Nice !

Wonder what else there is hiding in the undergrowth !

relichunter

bertiebuns
    ?

Hi, I have seen some identical shelters near Kingswood in Surrey. great forum BTW.

?

A few years ago a friend of mine used to work for London underground .He told me that along some of the tunnels there are rooms that were used during the war i asked if he been in them and he told me that most of the work crews go in there daily .He said that in one the rooms there were stretchers ,bakelite phones,several tin helmets and documents and old news papers among which he found half a dozen aircraft recognition posters one of which he took and later showed me .It was in near perfect condition once the dust was removed.I asked him if he could get the helmets for me and he said he would but low and behold he ends up in the army and ive never seen him since.But it reminded me of a small factory i used to visit as my uncle used to work there as a metal worker i wasonly about 13years old but i remember that they had an air raid shelter there and 25 helmets all hanging up on coat hooks,needless to say i ended up with all of them much to my mothers disgust. I wish to god id kept them.

These are the same as the shelters which still exist at RAF Leeming.

ILH
    ?

Hi Luckystrike,
    Nice pics. You talk about 'well off the beaten path' and climbing barbed wire fences; as an archaeologist and ex farmer/ gamekeeper, I've got to ask: You did have permission from the landowner, didn't you?
    cheers
    Jim.

ILH

Luckystrike is like me, a very keen relic hunter and amateur historian but NOT a trespasser or night hawker. He will most certainly have had permission from the landowner.

Steve T

CMc
    ?

Great pictures, I love old air-raid shelters myself. A street I used to live at as a kid used to have most of its World War II-era air raid shelters intact, mostly Anderson Shelters but with some more elaborate underground things as well (one of the local schools had a fairly expansive underground shelter in the basements/foundations that was a bit of an attraction locally, kids from the local schools used to be taken on tours of the shelters whilst they were studying the Second World War, the shelters even had some fascinating relics of the Home Front in them.)

Unfortunately I've been back to my old neighbourhood since and all the Anderson Shelters are gone, and no doubt many of the underground shelters sealed up and forgotten. A real shame, not only as those are remnants of the past that have been unceremoniously torn down, but because 'my' old Anderson Shelter in our back garden held a lot of happy memories for me, some kids have treehouses, I had an air raid shelter!

But yes, those are good pictures, it's always great to see surviving shelters etc.

Hi,
    Great pics of the shelters you are right to hold on to the location
    but as said before a good look round with the detector might bring some goodies. I know of some shelters the same here in cornwall,
    some on a R.A.F, base near to where i live, and some an old R.A.F, base now private. I detect on that one, they are in the same condition as yours, But i know of one with an old steel door
    on it and it,s locked. Just cant get in, There was one at St Merryn
    air base, when the base was sold it was still full of ammo and grenades,. the R.A.F, had to clear it out. what a find.

Dave.

?

I remember the anderson shelter in our back garden as a child my dad used it as his potting shed and budgie feed store.But just around the corner there was a number of different factories some of which had outside shelters built onto them.I managed to squeeze into one with a torch and a couple of mates, the stuff that was in there was great ,old hurricane lamps, metal stretchers,old chairs and tables some old air raid wardens helmets and some landline phones, i went basck there the next day and had acouple of helmets away but the next day i got caught by a copper on a bike who clouted me around the ear and told me to bugger off . After that the shelter was bricked up . I know the factory is still there but i havent been there for years. 45yrs ago how time flys.

jgawne
    ?

You know, that is in such nice shape I wonder if the local authorities might want to do something to protect it for the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast