Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!

Article about: Went out for a winter walk today and discovered a nice surprise. It's well off the beaten track which has helped to preserve it. There's non of the usual modern graffiti, vandalism or rubbis

Default Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!

Went out for a winter walk today and discovered a nice surprise. It's well off the beaten track which has helped to preserve it. There's non of the usual modern graffiti, vandalism or rubbish you usually expect. Venturing inside there was a great ambience of early 1940's, a trip back in time. It's around 1 mile from a former airfield and scattered around it are the foundations with steps for nissen huts and near are a couple of small hand dug shelters with metal girders still standing upright that would have supported the roofs. Sadly for photography the light was very poor today so only got a few shots of this.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!   Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!  

Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!   Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!  

Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!   Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!  

Default Re: Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!

Where is this?

Nice to see it undamaged. There are air raid shelters of this pattern at the former RAF Twinwood, Bedfordshire which are now preserved.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for your replies, its good to hear that similar shelters are being preserved in Bedfordshire. This shelter as I said before is well off the beaten track and that has kept it safe and preserved all these years and I can't see that changing, unless of course its position is revealed. I realise we're all on this forum because of our enthusiasm in the preservation of history from the World Wars, so you'll understand why I'd prefer not to reveal the location for its sake.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

A few years ago in the middle of a field of sheep I noticed from a distance a hole in the ground and what looked like railings around it. Climbing a barbed wire fence I walked over and found this. I was able to squeeze under further barbed wire to get into the opening and went down the stairs. This shelter was deeper and had a flat roof it was also at right angles to the stairs. This one was obviously known about by the farmer because it has been half filled with large stones and bricks. But it's nice to see that the original escape ladder is still in place.
    Near this site, I took the final picture which is a set of the steps in situ that I guess led into a nissen hut.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!   Was in the woods today, what a big surprise!!!  

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Where is this?
    England? (which seems to be the case)I didn't want specifics.

I can tell you these are found in England

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I can tell you these are found in England

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade!

Hi Packin9,
    I'm sorry I didn't notice you were in the US, Adrian is right it's actually in Southern England and the nearest Airfield started the war as RAF being later transferred to the US Airforce. Both fighter and transport squadrons flew from there.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Hi Packin9,
    I'm sorry I didn't notice you were in the US, Adrian is right it's actually in Southern England and the nearest Airfield started the war as RAF being later transferred to the US Airforce. Both fighter and transport squadrons flew from there.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Hi Lucky,Are you (legally) able to use a metal detector around there? If so, ya gonna? I'd bet there could be some good finds!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast