Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.

Article about: I've again been busy the good weather has warranted a few more visits recently and I've recovered plenty of varied WW2 relics from the Airfield . The recovery is the easy part its the cleani

Default Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.

I've again been busy the good weather has warranted a few more visits recently and I've recovered plenty of varied WW2 relics from the Airfield .
    The recovery is the easy part its the cleaning, restoration and preservation that's taken the time and I'm still at it, so may post a bit more in the future.

The items are grouped into what I'd say were related uses,
    So here we go....

1) 1a) and 1b) show some of my recent finds in as found condition.
    2) I've grouped personal items.
    2a) I was surprised with this, I always thought Old Spice After Shave was a post war product, but this was found amongst all the war relics so dates to that period.
    2ai) The bottle base details shows Made in USA.
    2b) Believe it or not this is a glove as I found it. the stitches had rotted and the peices were scattered.
    2bi) To restore for display, I first soaked it in water for two days (I've used this method successfully before). The dry leather soaked it in becoming supple and I could also clean the peices.
    I then worked out how the peices assembled and hand stitched them together. The glove was then packed with newspaper to get the correct shape and left to dry. Once dry the correct shape was retained, the paper removed and its now an interesting display peice. A bonus was as it dried my stitching was tightened.
    From the paint on the back dark green and a light blue I think it was used by ground crew?
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.   Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.  

Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.   Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.  

Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.   Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.  

Default Re: Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.

(continues)
    2c) Another After Shave?, I like this one because as you can see it came from HOLLYWOOD CALIFORNIA. Made by L.B Lab Inc the back is embossed 2 Flu Oz.
    2ci) Listerine Bottle with nice bakelite lid marked LPCo for Lambert Pharmacal Co. Back is embossed Duraglass.
    2cii) The rusted relic remains of US military torch.
    3) A selection of recently found tools, I guess originally belonging to the ground crews. I particularily like the grease gun.
    3a) A close up, notice the original green paint and blue band. Sadly there are no markings.
    4) This sign is interesting its embossed with a large 20, is it a traffic speed sign ? Notice the bullet hole marked X.
    4a) Close up of the bullet hole.
    4b) The reverse side.
    4c) Perhaps this is its use, I noticed this vehicle at a military show? The size is exactly the same and the 4 screw/rivet holes all line up?
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.   Wow.. Plenty of recent UK Airfield finds.  

(Continues)
    5) Not sure what this alloy disc is, I guess the raised part is a hand hold. It still retains much of its orginal faded red paint. It has 5 screw/rivet holes around the edge. Inset is the reverse.
    5a) Close up of stenciled number 87.
    6) Perhaps part of radio?, they're made of brass one end has small copper wire coil, one has chrome end marked Acco?
    7) Plenty of dated pottery shards, includes RAF and NAAFI. Notice the peice of plate top left. It's embossed GVR then EVIIIR and then transferred GVIR 1944. Three Kings in one unusual?
    8) Various Ammo relics, a couple of 30 cal fired cartridges and an all steel relic 20mm (I thought this could be German if so don't know what it was doing here) finally an empty Sten Mark 1 mag.
    8a) When I dug this I photographed it immediately and then reburied it back where it came from over 1.5m down where it'll continue to rust away to nothing. Do you know what it is? all steel but the cartridge is quite short in length.
    9) Various alloy wing/aileron air skin formers.
    9a) Another angle, I think due to the small size and frailty these were likely the aileron/elevator/rudder tab trims from a WACO
    CG4A Glider.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Phew last batch...

10) Various peices airskin and strengheners.
    10a) Marked peice 24-ST-PC.
    10b) Marked but hard to make out, has ASSEMBLY stamped in it with a part number below but impossible to read.
    10c) This is rivetted to the same peice, its marked but too far gone to read.
    10d) This is around 1 metre long, very strong but bent up at the end probably accident damage? I think it's the strenghening strutt for a wing/tail.
    10di) This pic shows a C47 with battle damage I've marked the part in situ (X) it clearly shows the V shaped strutts.
    10e) Interesting shaped peice of airskin in good condition still retaining much of the original paint.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Warhunter
    ?

Very nice vinds !!

terrific finds there lucky strike and a good different range of finds, have you found the dump site of your airfield and if so howd you come across it? your cleaning skills a far superior to mine
    the cartridge and the complete round is german im sure, i think im correct in saying that brass was running low and the germans used steel casings instead, iv found a few at a crash site along with exact matching ones in brass , these brass ones dated early war, 1941.
    keep up the good work!!

pic 6 looks like they are cable adjusters. the wire you mention may be the locking wire that keeps them locked.

Luckystrike

Nice finds mate !

The remains of the 20mm you have looks like the rim is considerably narrower than the body of the cartridge. I am not sure but I think this means it was an oerlikon round....maybe one of the other guys could help ?

I have found a number of items like the ones you have and could do with a close up please. Firstly, your first picture......the thing on the left that looks like a thick bangle, and the bit below it and to the left .....the iron thingy with the notches bottom and top and the four holes. I found one of those but left it on the site as I thought it was farm equipment.

The item in picture 10 top left.....I have one almost exactly the same but without the paint.

And finally your dug complete cartridge ...... how big was it compared to a 20mm round ? Diameter wise I mean.

Nice work !

Steve T

Hi Gibba1008... thanks for your encouragement and possible identification of the locking wires. Hadn't thought of that but agree they could well be.
    Yes I have found a tip but its not that large. When I Think about the number of personnel that must have been based there during the War there must surely be others!!.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Item No 4 could well be a vehicle "bridge plate". I don't have my list to hand but 20 would be for a heavy vehicle. Bridges were given a weight rating. A sentry could then prevent a vehicle with too high a rating from attempting to cross a bridge not designed to withstand it's weight.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast