Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW I US Soldier returned to US after 92 years

Article about: Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Default WW I US Soldier returned to US after 92 years

U.S. soldier killed nearly 92 years ago finally buried at Arlington - CNN.com

French metaldetector people found him in 2005. Interesting that the US government spend 105 million USD on dead soldiers each year.

Default Re: WW I US Soldier returned to US after 92 years

At least he was recovered and given his honours and rightly deserved.

Martyn.

Thanks for the link Vonforhud. I'm shocked but elated that the US military is still attempting to find our brave warriors.

Jay

It strikes me as somehow incongrus that the our goverment will spend the time, research and trouble to find, identify and deliver soldiers remains back to their final resting place here in the USA when at the same time so many veterans from the Vietnam and now the MiddelEast conflicts end up living in the streets. This due to the total indifference of the verysame goverment that used them up in its service and is indifferent to their plight once these brave souls have become too disabled mentally and physically to be of further use.

Quote by hassiman View Post
    It strikes me as somehow incongrus that the our goverment will spend the time, research and trouble to find, identify and deliver soldiers remains back to their final resting place here in the USA when at the same time so many veterans from the Vietnam and now the MiddelEast conflicts end up living in the streets. This due to the total indifference of the verysame goverment that used them up in its service and is indifferent to their plight once these brave souls have become too disabled mentally and physically to be of further use.
    It's an unfortunate fact that thes conflicts you mention are seen by many as "Dirty Wars", where there are many people that think their governments shouldn't be involved and the troops are therefore tarred with the same brush. That sence of being a part of that war or conflict is often carried by the individual troop and can have adverse effects on their mental state. Said governments can often then see those troops as a problem and "wash their hands of them".

It will probably never be known what the plight of the survivors of many wars are / is. This makes governments hugely unpopular.

In the meantime, well, if we can continue to recognise those that are finaly recovered then let's do so.

Martyn.

Though I of course respect EVERY fallen fighter, and wish that one day they could all be recovered - WWI is especially dear to my heart so I am very happy to have read the story.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

I wish I could answer that one for ya, buddy. Might be that the dead can't talk and they can get more mileage out of the ideals of another
    time and place rather than deal with more recent and even current events....just a thought??

There are vast resources for the living veterans in the US to be rehabilitated and provide for themselves. These soldiers gave their all. It is paramount for the US Government to provide the resources to enable them to rest in peace on hallowed ground. Personally, I would prefer many more resources be dedicated to the effort.

Vocational Rehabilitation program for disabled US veterans over 20% VA disability rating provides 100% of the tuition, books, fees, and about $700 per month stipend for 4 years to attend college and get a degree. There are many VA mental health programs all over the US. There are veterans groups all over the US that do such outreach. The help is there, sometimes it is incumbent on the veteran to ask for the help. You can't help someone against their will.

BTW, I see that two other soldiers were buried with him. I assume they were found and received a proper burial?

Thank you for sharing this story. It always amazes me when I hear of the remains of soldiers who died over 90 years ago are discovered and the bodies are able to be identified.

Veterans struggled with many of the same issues in the years following WWI. Your post made me think about the Bonus March: The Bonus March

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast