Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"

Article about: A few more bits coming out the WW1 section of my site. More drill rounds, in stripper clips and loose, plus what I am assuming is part of a pocket watch - am I wrong? cheers Matt

Default Re: WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"

A few more bits coming out the WW1 section of my site. More drill rounds, in stripper clips and loose, plus what I am assuming is part of a pocket watch - am I wrong?

cheers
    Matt

WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"

Does look like a pocket watch BUT.......it could also be a service issue compass. Below is a picture of an American one from my collection.

Actually, excuse the phrase but your nob matches a WWII British Army Military Pocket Watch I just found on the webz

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Actually, excuse the phrase but your nob matches a WWII British Army Military Pocket Watch I just found on the webz
    ooh err missus...think you're right - that's my nob

This site is a real jumble of stuff, finding WW1 era drill rounds with a WW2 pocket watch, though it's not inconceivable that the drill rounds were still being used later on..

Managed to get down to the "WW1" area of my site again today - nothing overly exciting but found a 1916 dated Half Penny coin, which is fairly knackered but nice for context, a couple more .303s, and assorted other stuff.

Does anyone know what the item middle of top row is - looks like a fixing of some sort - it is a split pin attached to the brass T-shaped piece?

Also found the remains of a handle of an item of cutlery perhaps, that is stamped "The Property of the A.C.C" - any ideas who the ACC are/were. I was thinking Army Cadet Corps maybe??

cheers
    Matt

WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"WW1 .303 Inspection Rounds - the "motherload"

Quote by harry211 View Post
    Also found the remains of a handle of an item of cutlery perhaps, that is stamped "The Property of the A.C.C" - any ideas who the ACC are/were. I was thinking Army Cadet Corps maybe??
    ACC is the standard abbreviation for Army Catering Corps, but it could be A??????? Cricket Club perhaps?

Rob

- - Updated - -

Quote by harry211 View Post
    ooh err missus...think you're right - that's my nob

This site is a real jumble of stuff, finding WW1 era drill rounds with a WW2 pocket watch, though it's not inconceivable that the drill rounds were still being used later on..
    The same watches (and compasses in pocket watch cases) were also used in WW1, by the way...

Rob

The pocketwatch frame/case may not actually be a military 'G.S.T.P.' (General Service
    Time Piece ) version, but could also be a common commercial watch. The notches
    at 1, 4, 8 and 11 o'clock will be the best clue in determining
    a maker or type.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The pocketwatch frame/case may not actually be a military 'G.S.T.P.' (General Service
    Time Piece ) version, but could also be a common commercial watch. The notches
    at 1, 4, 8 and 11 o'clock will be the best clue in determining
    a maker or type.........
    I am sure G.S.T.P. is actually British Army stores nomenclature for General Service, Trade Pattern, which actually denotes that it is a commercial (i.e. trade pattern) watch. The suffix T.P. has been applied to many items of equipment through the 20th Century, not just watches. Most WW2 GSTP watch mechanisms were actually of Swiss manufacture.

Rob

?

The t shaped brass thing with a split pin is from a ww1 era wooden ammo box

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    ACC is the standard abbreviation for Army Catering Corps, but it could be A??????? Cricket Club perhaps?

Rob

- - Updated - -

The same watches (and compasses in pocket watch cases) were also used in WW1, by the way...

Rob
    Thanks Rob - Army Catering Corps - didn't think of that one but obvious once you know . Interesting about the watch being in use in WW1 era as everything else from the recovery area has been 1912 to 1917 in date so glad this may well be the same sort of time frame and there may not be cross-contamination from the WW2 area of the site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast