Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WW1 Battelfields of Verdun in 2011, whats still to been seen on sight only

Article about: by Scout Amazing finds ..., amazing what what was dropped there...and amazing what still can be found. That conflict is hard to grasp the magnitude of in retrospect. PS Quality pic of you (?

?

Default Re: WW1 Battelfields of Verdun in 2011, whats still to been seen on sight only

Hi Ger

Yes I have visited Jean-Paul de Vries museum at Romagne-sous-Montfaucon - amazing collection and very interesting to talk to him for a couple of hours - highly recommended!

?

Default Re: WW1 Battelfields of Verdun in 2011, whats still to been seen on sight only

Very nice pictures. That is a lot of "things" lying around there. How come detecting is totally forbidden?

Also very nice boots. Looks like LOWA Combat (GTX) if i am not mistaken.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Very nice pictures. That is a lot of "things" lying around there. How come detecting is totally forbidden?

Also very nice boots. Looks like LOWA Combat (GTX) if i am not mistaken.
    LOL you are right they are Lowa's

in the red triangle between the 3 main forts the ground is coverd up to 6 meters deep with everything you can imagine.
    Tons of unexploded shells etc. its one big cemetery filled with amo gas and human pieces.
    Its just to dangerous, they had already enough "explosion Tourist" literally blown their heads off.

?

He is indeed a nice guy., next year we will do a battlefield tour with him, it's not expensive and maybe we can learn a new way of searching.
    Below i will give you a few pictures of the last two years.

and last year the 304 MortHomme:

?

Ok, very understandable. LOWA is THE boot.

Hi there !

Impressive posts in here...

I just spent a long week-end in Verdun. It was awesome!

We were walking through the woods of the Mort-homme hill. There is plenty of shrapnel lying around there.
    Suddenly there was this shell, just on the dirt road. Amazing!
    As I am no expert on these things, I did not dare taking it out.

Now does anyone know anything about this one? Nationality?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P1080039.jpg  

?

Better let fired shells where they are, do not move or transport them!
    just take your camera and take a picture...thats the only save way.

it hard to tell what it is you found, would need to see some more of the fuze or tail.

the red triangle is always impressive even now when almost all artifacts that were visible are gone.
    Better look at the trees, i've seen handgrenades, shells, and even pieces of the famous MG08 (body) that where grow into them, very odd to see

This year ill be there again, but not the verdun woods but the argonne woods with the Kaisertunnel

Ok..thanks!

These are two shell splinters from the Mort homme.
    I cleaned them with vinegar.
    I am wondering if it is possible to tell what shell they are from and which nationality.
    On the round one, I found a marking:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P1080336.jpg   P1080333.2.jpg  

?

Cant be of any help, only thing; the round one is a piece of a schrapnel shell, it was stuck at the bottom of the grenade right above the powderchamber, a hollowpipe went al the way from the fuze thru this plate into the powderchamber, when the timefuze went off, the chamber below would explode and pusses the plate towards the fuze , the lead balls were pushed outside the shell....
    its a 1915 piece,

cheers,
    Ger

?

Amazing finds ..., amazing what what was dropped there...and amazing what still can be found.
    That conflict is hard to grasp the magnitude of in retrospect.
    PS
    Quality pic of you (?) next to the shell with fingers in ears.
    Bend over and kiss your aXX goodbye

Agreed on LOWA - the boot indeed.
    I have some MEINDL boots also and they are not of the same quality nor as comfortable as the LOWAs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast