Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 front Verdun in 2010

Article about: I have been a Verdun digger since 22 years, in the early days none was cleaned. everywhere shells, helmets and weapons. I will give you a short impression whats still left on the fields ther

?

Default WW1 front Verdun in 2010

I have been a Verdun digger since 22 years, in the early days none was cleaned.
    everywhere shells, helmets and weapons.
    I will give you a short impression whats still left on the fields there, everything on the pics is found on sight.
    2 german handgrenades, and some 75mm french scrapnel shells.

German trench Mortars:

on the outsides 2x 77mm german scrapnel and on the inside 2x 75mm french

German egg grenade, not fused, removal cap still in place.

105mm HE shell

and cleaned at home a VB riflegrenade:

Default Re: WW1 front Verdun in 2010

Ahh..Verdun, an area I must get to visit during my lifetime, I dont collect relics/ground dug or otherwise found items, but there I would make an exception, amazing finds, are the handgrenades/minenwerfer shells not live, therefore extremly dangerous ?...
    Prost ! Steve.

?

the egg grenade were not armed, only a screw cap was placed, after its removal the powder could easily be removed.
    The Vivien Bessiere Riflegrenade has a small hit on the back ( hole of 1 inch) nothing left in there.....it was already disarmed.
    the German trench mortars are still armed, i left them there.
    when you look very carefully the safety pin can be seen on the upper one.
    3mm below that it can be disarmed......
    in my early days i would had disarmed them by cutting of the fuze just below the fuzecapsule ( i had the original bombsquad books from 1923)
    but now a days i got a family, and i only take pictures...LOL
    a lot of non exploded shells were only photographed, not even touched...i like what i do and want to do it in the next 20 years also....LOL
    Last edited by gerrit; 10-25-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be poking around all that fragile, unexploded ordnance anytime soon... great pictures though!

gerrit, thanks for that...I guess its a case these days of look but dont touch !....
    Prost ! Steve.

Forgive my ignorance, but is that a piece of bone in the fifth picture down?!?!?

I love your camo trousers,must be very useful when the French Gendarmerie looks after you....You choosed the most dangerous diggin site in France,but afterwards,you do it for 22 years...
    Never had a trouble with the farmers,forest employees,hunters...???

?

Obkrieger: indeed its a human bone, they are scattered around everywhere, 130.000 body's are still lost in the meatmill
    Sebfrench: i only got caught once by the special "Forest Police", they took away 25 brass cartridges 75mm french, a fully loaded case with MG amo and some pieces of a G98 rifle.
    The brass stuff was later seen in a souvenir shop in Verdun, LOL, i know that because i cleaned the bottom for the headstamp, is was Us made by Remington...LOL
    only in de 80ths i searched with a metaldetector, then i stopped because of the high penalty's in that erea...and started to look at places where they remove trees and make new roads.....

Man, that bone is haunting. Have you ever come across any identifiable remains?